Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: Learning to music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Neuroscientific studies have looked at brain areas involved in musical abilities and how they have the potential to reveal much information on how the brain works generally, and how music seems to transcend cultures and evoke strong emotions. There is an interesting article on the BBC News website today about how music is being used to help teach maths.
See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4459636.stm
Have any of you used music or music accompanyment in your teaching. What do you think about the power of music on the brain? Do you think music distracts or enhaces learning?
Thanks for that link, which was most interesting.
Where I would also repost a link to an article on Rhythm and Dyxlexia:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2144790.stm

Though in my link, they used the Voice as the instrument.
Whereas in your article, Drums were used to develop an understanding of Fractions.
Which given this use of 2 different instruments for 2 different purposes.
Caused me to consider the spectrum of different instruments?
Where perhaps Wind and String instruments, will also be identified as contributing to learning development?
Yet I am aware of research project at the medical school at Sao Paula University. Where they are looking at the relationship between 'styles of breathing' and literacy development.
Particularly, in regard to 'abdominal breathers' and 'top of chest breathers'.
Where learning to play a Wind instrument, develops the prefered abdominal breathing, as a non-declarative habitual way of breathing.
Perhaps Music plays a far greater role in developmental learning, than is currently recognised?
Afterall, if learning play to Drums can overcome a problem with learning 'fractions'.
Was the initial problem with Maths acquisition, or lack of exposure to Music?
Where music establishes a foundational factor for maths development?

Though perhaps this is just a reflection of an overwhelming focus on declarative learning?
Geoff.Smile