Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: REM sleep
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I have a question and would be grateful if anyone could help or possibly point me in the direction where I could find some answers.

A while back, I woke up from a dream which was pretty vivid and as I was lying in bed, I exprienced vibrations coarsing through my body. I've searched the net for info about this and have come across info which has given me a fairly good idea of what is going on, but i'm no scientist by any means (the last time i studied science was about 6 yrs ago). I think the general idea is that the body has been suddenly awaken and the brain therefore triggers a response to the body to regain its motor functions. However for some reason (maybe sleep deprivation), the response isn't as immediate as it should be, thus resulting in an 'in-between' state... could this explain the vibrations?

Another idea is that body temperature is very low when asleep (when compared to being awake) and thus a sudden awakened state would lead to shivering of the entire body?

I'm not too sure about the second explanation, but i'm pretty sure that there's some neurological reasoning which can explain the vibrations.

Any help would be appreciated Smile