Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: Educators Must Be Experts In Student Learning Assessments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
January 3, 2006

Good Evening,Smile

My students are adults working on their masters degrees in education and psychology. Tonight I really thought long and hard about the assessment of their learning. Much of the material that I teach in Understanding Learning in the Mind, Brain and Body is non-declarative learning (unconscious) and experiential. You asked how can that be given the
title of the course...well trust me, it is.

Does that mean that the assessments must be both in non-declarative form and declarative form? I think so since what I am looking for is whether or not the student understands the material and if the material is important enough to be assessed then I would be looking for long term memory along with the deep understanding.

I think we are making some good progress both in the learning and the assessment of the learning.
I would be very interested to hear any comments on this.
Be well,
RobSmile
January 3, 2006

Hi Smile,

If something is important enough to teach and learn, then we must do a better job of assessment. Assessment of deep understanding; not a quick test to get a quantification for a grade. The two do not go together. Deep learning and the current means of assessment do not go together at all. It is at best anachronistic because it encourages memorization and filling in the IBM cards...in order to get a score....any score.
Be well,
RobSmile ,
January 4, 2006

Dear teacher,
I have just learned how to swim. Will you please watch me and just let me know how well you think I am doing? At this point does the teacher administer a true or false assessment, multiple choice assessment or other.....The correct answer is other...but what other....Simply watch the child swim like he/or she asked. Too much trouble, I don't think so. Deep reinforce of an assessment that involves nondeclarative learning. It takes time to make good wine.
Be well,
RobSmile
Hi Rob, Smile
The deeper issue, is that a purely quantifiable assessment becomes the determining factor of what is taught.
So that only that which can quantifiably assessed is included in a curriculum.

Perhaps this highlights the value of experiential learning, which enables learning to be applied, and in turn deeper understanding to develop and be demonstrated.
Geoff.Smile
[QUOTE=geodob]Hi Rob, Smile
The deeper issue, is that a purely quantifiable assessment becomes the determining factor of what is taught.

Hi GeoffSmile I really like the way you stated this...you are absolutely correct.
Be well,
RobSmile
[QUOTE=segarama][QUOTE=geodob]Hi Rob, Smile

Hi GeoffSmile I really like the way you stated this...you are absolutely correct..."The deeper issue, is that a purely quantifiable assessment becomes the determining factor of what is taught." So that only that which can quantifiably assessed is included in a curruculum." This calls for a very narrow curriculum...
Be well,
RobSmile
segarama Wrote:[QUOTE=segarama][QUOTE=geodob]Hi Rob, Smile

Hi Geoff, I really like the way you stated this...you are absolutely correct..."The deeper issue, is that a purely quantifiable assessment becomes the determining factor of what is taught." So that only that which can quantifiably assessed is included in a curruculum." This calls for a very narrow curriculum...
Be well,
Rob

Hi GeoffSmile In the early 1970's my wife, son and daughter went to Zambia, Africa through the school to school program out of Washington DC...As an exchange headmaster at the International School of Lusaka....I was quick to realize that the curriculum was essentially British and American...The Syllabus was British and everything that was to be taught that year was on the syllabus. It made for easy quantification and grading. But it also remained extremely narrow in thought and practice. Teachers were not allowed to deviate from this practice....however, we learned a great many new things while working with 32 nations. Very exciting.
Best,
RobSmile
Hi Rob Smile I might suggest that perhaps this is the greatest issue for Schools and Teachers across the world?
Where quantifiable assessment has become the determining factor for what is taught and how it is taught?
It fails to recognise education as a broad developmental process, for each student. Where incoming information needs to be integrated into prior understanding.
The crucial issue being integration , not just adding to.
What is really needed, is the development of qualitative models of evaluation?
Which go beyond right/wrong assessments, to identify deeper cognitive development?
The great irony, is that students gain a Qualification, which is a misnomer, where a Quantification is more appropriate.
Geoff.Smile
January 6, 2006

We are always to find better means to assess student's learning and knowledge therein. Retrieved 1-07-06 from the internet is material from OECD that is taking a closer look at FORMATIVE ASSESSMENTS.
What are your thoughts????
Best,
RobSmile URL: Formative Assessment: Improving Learning in Secondary Classrooms

Since 2002, the What Works programme has focused on “formative assessment”. Formative assessment refers to frequent, interactive assessment of learner progress and understanding. Teachers are then able to adjust teaching approaches to better meet identified learning needs. The educational gains associated with formative assessment have been described as “among the largest ever reported for educational interventions”. It is also important for improving the equity of outcomes and developing students’ “learning to learn” skills.
While many teachers incorporate aspects of formative assessment into their teaching, it is not often practiced systematically. The What Works study, Formative Assessment: Improving Learning in Secondary Classrooms (2005), features exemplary cases from secondary schools in eight systems and international research reviews, and relates these to the broader policy environment. The study shows how teachers have addressed barriers to systematic practice, and how school and policy leaders may apply the principles of formative assessment to promote constructive cultures of assessment and evaluation throughout education systems.
January 15, 2006

Good EveningSmile ,

The Organization for Economic and Cooperative Development (OECD) has a recent study and paper on formative evaluation that is quite good. If you get a chance, please read it. Url retrieved January 15,2006 from the internet.
Best,
Rob Smile URL: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/32/0/34221065.pdf
January 30, 2006

Good morningSmile,

As I kind of think about teaching and learning, I cannot help but be a little sad for our anachronistic methods of assessing our students. Students may spend a great amount of energy in learning, yet we do them little justice in validating their assessment. It is not a completed circle or completion of a learning model without really ascertaining whether or not the the extent of the profundity of the material or subject matter was successful;thus being able to validate the assiduous effort in striving to learn.

Our general overall assessment of learning is an embarrassment, but even more so a slap in the face of our students. We must really address this challenge. Formative evaluation is a very good start.
Be well,
RobSmile
Cheers to that!

Research suggests that formative assessment is more effective and more motivating across many different context.

An interesting cross-cultural review:
http://www.oecdbookshop.org/oecd/display...62005021P1
For several years there has been a movement in support of alternative assessments being used to evaluate student progress and needs. Portfolios, Classroom Based Assessments, (teacher designed and implemented) and Oral Exams are among these. The problem with these ideas is that they run afoul of the factory model of education which is so firmly entrenched here in the United States. Until we convince politicians (both elected and those within the education system) and the general public that learning is not the same as building a car on an assembly line, quantifiable testing will continue to drive the curriculum.
Kelly
Hi KepeowSmile
You raise perhaps the greatest issue facing education?
Political interference?
The overarching outcome that needs to be addressed, is what will make our political masters look good?
This is the terms of reference, that any changes need to defined by?
Whilst I'm writing from Australia, it is precisely the situation here.

Whilst I could happily complain about this, this is a reality that is not about to change this century?
Given this reality, the real question, is how could Politicians gain advantage from promoting an educational model of Formative Assessment?
Afterall, the real issue is not with longer term Educational Outcomes, but with short term Electoral Outcomes.
Whilst I could be cynical, politicians only reflect the dominant public opinion?

So the real question, is how to 'market' a formative assessment model?
With marketing as the key word?

I have just been discussing this issue elsewhere, where as a very simple example, I gave 2 exam tests?
Students were taught 10 particular words.
In the first exam, they were given a blank piece of paper, and asked to recall and write down a list of these 10 words.
A very easy test to conduct, with right or wrong. Easy to mark out of 10.
But what did this really demonstrate?
In the second test, they were given the same 10 words.
But this time, they had to make a Sentence with the words.
Which may not be so easy to mark out of 10?

My basic point is the distinction between learning for the acquisition of knowledge, and learning for understanding.
Therefore, I would suggest that Formative Assessment reflects a deeper understanding, rather than the recollection of the Facts/Knowledge?

In terms of developing public and political awareness of Formative Assessment, I would suggest that it be presented in terms of acquiring factual knowledge, versus developing an understanding of a Subject?
I believe that most people place higher value on what one understands of a subject, rather than what one knows?
Where Formative Assessment could be presented as an assessment of Understanding, rather than a recollection of factual Knowledge of a subject?

Perhaps you can understand what I'm getting at?
Or maybe you know what I'm on about?
Who knows?
I'll understand, whatever?
Geoff. Smile
Good Day, Geoff,
You wrote:
I believe that most people place higher value on what one understands of a subject, rather than what one knows?
Where Formative Assessment could be presented as an assessment of Understanding, rather than a recollection of factual Knowledge of a subject?

While I agree with you, I think many people have trouble differentiating between the two. (In my class I call this Jeopardy learning (The TV show?) Quick, short answers.)
I think the challenge is not only convincing people that understanding is more important than memorization of facts, but that our current system needs to change to allow time for both synthesis of the material and the use of Formative Evaluations, which by their nature often take more time. (Your example of the word list vs. sentences being an example.)

I suppose this is really off the topic of brain research and more politics and pedagogy. However, it points up the challenge of turning what we know into what we do.
Kelly
February 3, 2006

Good EveningSmile,

If a learner has mastered his or her job or responsibility [...or whatever...] to learn/understand/know/demonstrate the mastery or part of a problem thus given, should not the teacher do everything possible to allow the learner to express that knowledge [or learning] in anyway possible that has just become part of a possible construct of that learning. You see, we teach, we test and we record...hope they learn...It is really much more than that...We teach the child to learn by learning to catch hold of the edge of his or her 'prior learning' and from there build,build,and build. It does not really matter if we call it constructs or whatever...in the brain we may call it neuronal networks...because learning is a physical change in the brain. Do you believe that...yes...why do I believe that? The neuronal networks can be seen by noninvasive high technology. Is is causal? In my book, it is causal. Have substrates? Absolutely.
Then why do we insist that the teacher set the criteria on HOW THE LEARNER communicates his or her neuronal network/construct or things learned. If the student has not learned enough about the subject, we can also pick it up again where the prior learning ended; which will now be where the prior learning begins a new. This holds true for special needs children, neurologically typical children and children who can be called gifted [lets not get hung up on terminology]. The point is that all children have the ability to learn and communicate. It is not always the same form of communication as we see it...but the learning is for the child to see. Of course we don't want non adaptive neuronal networks or constructs but we do want the learner to take the problem by the hand and walk with it.
Best,
RobSmile
Good MorningSmile

Very short, but to the point. If Educators cannot come up with a responsible way to assess students then someone else will....and that seems to be happening.
Be well,
RobSmile
March 4, 2006

Good morningSmile,

Sometimes educators do not like to assess students. They are either worried that the student might reflect their own teaching or that the grade you give might not be a correct judgement....Maybe that is the problem...assessment means grades.....or assessment means helping the student to evaluate the efficacy of their knowledge or understanding. We do great harm when we grade students based on criteria that is nebulous. We help when we assess progess and point out options.
RobSmile,
March 5, 2006

It says it all....."Can you access whether a young child can tie his or her own shoe"? We must be sure to give that child a grade based on the factor of 'time' or some other esoteric reason.....The proof is in the pudding.....who said that? Note a bit of sarcasm...I will tone it down....

Best,
RobSmile
March 12, 2006

Good MorningSmile,

Slow things down and take time to assess your students endeavors. This means a great deal to the student....they want to know if they are validated....or if you care....Your job is the most difficult in terms of daily human life. Please treat children with respect and be sure to include them.....Nothing hurts much more than not being included because you are to busy running off to somewhere else.Smile
Best,
RobSmile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 12, 2006

Good Morning,

Oliver Sacks calls Eric R. Kandel's new book "A Stunning book." Oliver Sacks states in the inside cover of Kandel's new book....MEMORY BINDS OUR MENTAL LIFE TOGETHER......I believe this to be so very true....I am going to give you more information on this excellent book....

Book: In Search of Memory by Nobel Prize Winner Eric R. Kandel: The Emerence of a New Science of the Mind. @ 2006 by Eric R. Kandel, ISBN 0-393-05863-8 (Hardcover) USA $29.95

Very interesting book that really makes you think....
Best,
Rob