Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: Politics And Power In Education...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
February 10, 2006

Good AfternoonSmile,

At the end of the day politics and power control can usurp from the teachers the art and skill of teaching and set the goals and objectives in education. This is not a theory; this is a fact. The only real control over the politics and powers seems to be the electorate who then exerts change through politics and power. Where this must change is to include a wide spread of policy makers in the process of education; not just a an attempt to sell a good thing.

Documentation is both impirical and many excellent text and articles can be cited. We need truth, and pluralism to get what is wanted by the more altruistic of the population.
Be well,
RobSmile
segarama Wrote:February 10, 2006

Good AfternoonSmile,

At the end of the day politics and power control and usurp from the teachers the art and skill of teaching and set the goals and objectives in education. This is not a theory; this is a fact. The only real control over the politics and powers seems to be the electorate who then exerts change through politics and power. Where this must change is to include a wide spread of policy makers in the process of education; not just a an attempt to sell a good thing.

Documentation is both impirical and many excellent text and articles can be cited. We need truth, and pluralism to get what is wanted by the more altruistic of the population.
Be well,
RobSmile

Three excellent reads in this area of politics and power in education are: Conflicts of interests by Joel Spring, Political agendas for education: From the religious right to the green party by Joel Spring and The politics of education: Culture, Power and liberation by Paulo Freire.
I would like to share with you masters degree students reactions and behavior when confronted by guest speakers from the ACLU, President of the NAACP, Head of Anti-Defamation League and California State Senator[s] and more. Each talked on different nights and separatelyand interacted with the students....I will continue this at a subsequent time....
Be well,
RobSmile
February 10, 2006

Good AfternoonSmile,

In a class that I taught called Politics and Education, we had a class made up of prospective school administrators and current school administrators and psychologists.....Our guest for the evening was a an employee of the ACLU.

I got there in the evening a little earlier than usually and ate dinner in the staff room. Several students came early also and were talking in the hall. Once the class began I was a few short of the total number of students that usually attend classes....and I remember seeing them in the hall way earlier before class. Our guest speaker was running a tad late so I went looking for a few of my lost flock. I found them still in the hall talking. I reminded them that our guest was on her way and we should get to class. Well, let me tell you.....the discussion of having a member of the ACLU speak to the class was not popular with these few students and they manifestly were not planning to attend class. I asked them if they really know the history and purpose behind the ACLU and they did not. I asked them if they were basing their "no show" on some court cases in which they highly disagreed....and that seemed to be the primary case. They based the outcomes on some court cases to justify not listening to the speaker...

I saw the lady from the ACLU enter my class and rushed to greet her. The other students walked slowly to class but did not say anything. The ACLU presentation was excellent and she even admitted that some of the cases in which the ACLU filed and won were not personally agreeable to her, but the overall principles of the organization was very agreeable. She was most affable and the students talked for several hours with her. When she left the discussion continued without a moderator. It seems that no one in the class really knew the history or purpose of the ACLU before this evening. This is not an indorsement of the ACLU or other groups but it is an indorsement for freedom of speech and the right do so.
Be well,
RobSmile
February 18, 2006

Good MorningSmile,

At our very next class meeting, our guest speaker was the president of the local NAACP. She was a graduate in law from Harvard University and most engaging. She set the class at ease and there was a great discussion for a few hours. She brought the class in and she also became part of the class. Many in the class thought that African Americans were the only ones allowed to join the NAACP. Not true, many races and ethnic, reglious individuals belong including caucasians. Great evening.
Best,
RobSmile
February 26, 2006

Good Evening,Smile

The next class the head of the anti-defamation league in San Diego spoke and did he ever educate us. It just so happened that a great deal of anti-everything was hitting many of the local high schools. He was brought in to bring many ethnic groups together...sort of like what we are suppose to do as educators. He is an expert and spent many hours with all of the groups separately and together. The problems were not immediately ameliorated, but common ground was established for dialogue. He felt that his day was full, but he could see subsequent meetings.....bring misunderstandings and respect for each ethnic group on a positive track.
Be well,
RobSmile
March 2, 2006

Good DaySmile,

Politics and power in education plays a big part of the formal and informal agenda in which day to day activities and the curriculum is operated. It is so blatant that even an uneducated eye can see this occuring on a daily basis. It is true but really real and you must be trained to recognised the P and P in education. If you think you are doing a good job, then stand up for what you believe. You are usually on someone elses agenda who needs your talent for themselves.

Elections for the Board of Trustees are truly political...but a good candidate can win on his or her own, but can they stay independent with their thinking or must they go with a group. Ask professional board watchers...it is very difficult to keep your decisions from being attached by pressure groups.

Education will not change until individuals are strong enough to risk professional and personal loss for the sake of making the correct decisions on behalf of children. Education is difficult when you have to fight to keep your own opinions...it is easly just to go along....
Be well,
RobSmile
March 4, 2006

Good MorningSmile,

Please think carefully about this and I really would like your opinion.

Politics and Power are having an impact on stem cell use for many degenerative disorders for the young and old alike......
Be well,
RobSmile
March 9, 2006

Good MorningSmile,

Have you ever had a group of lawyers in your office demanding that a child who had special needs should not be the lead in a student play. Well, this was a good one. One lady was a former judge, the others were all practicing lawyers.

I was the superintendent and one of the schools had an annual student play (sixth grade). The plays were very well done and the children tried out for the plays just as they would any group function. There were committees of parents and teachers and students on the selecting committees.

Well, none of the lawyers' children were chosen as the LEAD in the play....most all of the other lawyers' children had salient parts in the play....but not the lead. The lead in the play was a special needs child who was a Multiple Intelligence child who was a sensational performer.........the message handed to me before the parent lawyers entered my office was: "We want to negotiate with you on a new lead for the play". NEGOTIATE...NEGOTIATE around the democratic selection process that was well established....yes, they were here to make things tough on the superintendent IF he did not negotiate with them....They wanted one of their children to be the LEAD....anyone of them.....because....ready for this.....The "Lead" performance in play would be a step in the right direction to future success that THEIR CHILDREN ....possess due to the parents' station in life. The LEAD in the play who was chosen was not going to be anyone anyway so why waste the part. I asked them if they all felt that way...and if they really wanted me to change the democratic method and release the special needs boy from the part and put in one of their child. The answer was a "yes" nod.

I said ok....let me make a phone call first...and would you please each put your business card on my desk. They did so....I press my button to reach my secretary and asked her to call the four major newspapers and that I was holding a press conference immediately about a serious bias case that they would be interested. My office was empty except for me in about two seconds.

Believe me politic and power in education is serious business and reaches the highest members of the school chain of command.....Think about it....
Be well,
RobSmile
March 12, 2006

Good MorningSmile,

Did you know that if Board Members or Superintendents or Principals or Board Lawyers feel that you are not doing an acceptable job, they usually follow the lead of the lawyer who many times puts out the word that the person [of concern] should not be talked to [or with] by any other personnel and should be isolated from any social contact with adult personnel. The treatment is also to take place at all social events.

This is a very harsh way to get rid a person on staff that your higher ups don't like anymore. This is probably the most cruel form of harassing an employee known to man...almost.....Well guess what....it happens everyday in our country and most probably other countries. I wonder what the courts would have to say about trying to harm another individual by systematic exclusion of all living professional contact. The local Grand Jury should look into this.

Think about it.......
Best,
RobSmile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2005

Good MorningSmile,

Beyond The Trauma Vortex: The Media's Role in Healing Fear, Terror, and Violence by Gina Ross and Foreword by Dr. Peter A. Levine, Author of Waking the Tiger is an excellent book. Quoted from the back cover of the book are the following: The power of this book lies in its passionate appeal to news and entertainment media for their help in turning the horrors of history into healing and peace. Beyond the Trauma Vortex clarifies how reactions to trauma can influence reporting in ways that distort news coverage for readers and viewers, adding to their confusion and helplessness rather than informing and moving them to constructive action
_____Migael M Scherer
Journalist, teacher , and author of Still Loved by the /Sun: A Rape Survior's Journal.

Author Gina Ross says under heading THE MEDIA's CHALLENGE: Clearly, the media has the power to stir up passions. It has long been used as a vehicle to mobilize people around an issue, be it the German media rallying Nazi sympathizers to the Third Reich, American newreels rallying concerned citizens during World War II, or Al Jazeera rallying Muslums around the world. The media is one of the most powerful forces in shaping the world in the twenty-first century. It is more influential than ever as information is now instantly accessible to the entire world, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day. The capacity to televise anything live from anywhere has changed the impact of information. Critical though this change may be, we may not have slowed down long enough to analyze this shift or evaluate its effects.

The media's challenge in the new millennium is as follows: If coverage of trauma helps to " normalize" violence, then the coverage of our collective healing capacity could normalize harmony. Members of the press can and increasingly do take on leadership roles that support the best values of our society in unprecedented ways. The media determines what the general public will see, and it knows how to use the power of suggestion. It can reflect society in ways that foster well being by covering tragic everts in the context of the healing vortex. This has been a direct quote from Gina Ross's book....good book recommend reading.
Be well,
RobSmile
Your WORDS ROB "I said ok....let me make a phone call first...and would you please each put your business card on my desk. They did so....I press my button to reach my secretary and asked her to call the four major newspapers and that I was holding a press conference immediately about a serious bias case that they would be interested. My office was empty except for me in about two seconds."

i could not resist a coment well done.
jn
April 10, 2006
Good Morning,Smile

Politics and power in education is both part of the formal and informal system. Politics and power is delineated by the same type of people that act like male dogs who try to capture or hold their territory by urinating on that area. It is a part [my opinion] of the evolutionary system that never really evolved.

It is a good feeling to be free from the brain stem intelligence of the past by keeping your integrity and your own good will. I have lived a long professional life and politics and power is really extant today as well as the male dog mentality when it come to territory. Never sell yourself or change your ideas for money or pride. Pride is integrity.
Be well,
RobSmile