Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: Education in the 21st century
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Given all we know about the human brain, psychology, and developmental stages; given how the technology explosion has changed information availability, the way people everywhere and anywhere can collaborate on projects and share and access knowledge; given the need for our children (as well as ourselves) to be successful in this “flat world” where many, perhaps most, jobs can be done by any qualified person anywhere; here is the challenge;
Describe what “learning” would look like without using the words education, teacher, student, school, textbook, test, classroom, or class. (You may have a few other words you think should be dropped as well.)
I ask this because I am beginning to believe that for the fantastic strides being made in the above areas to be applied to learning will require this kind of “radical” thinking.

Kepeow
I have hand written a long observation on intelligence which I am still trying to get typed up, but when at last we have got a call for new thinking, I had to dive right in,
just fresh from BBC2 a brilliant program on plastics.

Obviously we can learn some things instantly, casual TV fills most of us with a mind full of instant trivia, controlled and well ordered TV is the worlds best educator.
Why, did it not tell a thick farmer like me, that an abacus built a mental map of basic arithmetic in ten minutes.

Why does the so-called education brigade ignore this fact in the UK

in India they loved it

in Russia china and Japan they still use it. Very effectively.

We can and have for years broken down education into metric 4 periods of five years

in the first five years the child belongs to the parents

from fifteen the child is working alone under direction of one sort or another, using the sort of tools we all use as adults our whole brain learning and thinking about every thing we come across, or we should be

from ten two fifteen we attempt to bore them to death in a class room
a great many of them never recover from this experience.

If they learn to type learnt to play the piano learnt any instrument the wanted to, learnt to dance every dance that humans are capable off, if they learnt to play chess and allowed free use of computers to follow their interests, and unrestricted access to mix and help with other age groups we may get some ware.

Direct valuable film or TV one hour a day would keep them up to scratch.

No longer do we need the sage on the stage it really is time now for the guide by the side.

But we have a period within every Childs life of intense importance

a period in which we will make or break the future of our planet

it is possible to teach every healthy child to read write and think independently.
Mathematics holds the key to logical thinking
reading effectively holds the key to rapid knowledge acquisition

we have to sharpen up

you have started a great debate my friend just watch the professional art attack me now.

http://abacusone.net/