Teach the Brain Forums

Full Version: This is an important notice for every parent.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[SIZE="7"][COLOR="DarkRed"]
This is an important notice for every parent.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Black"]
Before you start to teach your own child, it is important that you realise science has altered the opinion of many intellectuals regarding children's intelligence, previously human intelligence was regarded as being 90% inherited and 10% due to the outside influences. Today these figures are being turned right around, if we consider for a moment that we are born into a small room and fed through a window without any contact we shall know nothing more than the inside of that room, quite obviously we are all born in a small room and we shall never know more then we seek to find out about that room. We are all born with natural human intelligence.research http://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/sh...php?t=1587
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Regarding information from DNA examinations everyone examined today is related to one woman in Africa who lived 200,000 years ago, if we take five generations per hundred years as a normal situation we have 1 million generations of similarity, not similarity in colour or creed size or shape, but similarity as regards our human brain, our species brain is unparalleled on our planet, without speech and everything that flows from it we would know very little, as the amount of information grows that we are required to learn in order to live comfortably, we have an necessity to be able to read, if we are not to be cheated by others with a better education than ourselves, we need to be instantaneous in calculation ability.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="6"]Personal human injustice, is my driving force, my realisation that millions of us are misled daily, has led me to consider, that the ability to read and write, to count and think logically, are at the very centre of our human ability to build on our natural intelligence.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
No one cares more for your children then you do, therefore it is up to you to teach your own child to count perfectly and read, to the very best of its own ability. These two basic skills are capable of being built into the mind of every human child quite easily, I have spent almost 17 years of my life to create

:adder: ----- [SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]system one 4 every 1

[/COLOR][/SIZE] after realising many things about human intelligence, I have read hundreds of science experimental reports, I have researched the history of education, I have considered for hours and hours, how best children may be taught quickly, and at what time in their life are they able to be taught, the answer is always the same teach children as much as you can, as early as you can. No one will be closer to your children then you are, no one will be as concerned about your children as you are, your child will be best educated by utilising “Abacus one” a variation of our oldest technical counting aid, the length and thoroughness of my research, alongside the ignorance shown by British intellectuals, regarding the power of the Abacus entitles me by the obvious negligence regards the awareness of Abacus properties, in regards to teaching abilities, to claim without contradiction that “Abacus One” is the most powerful teaching tool on Earth.
You can make an Abacus which is very useful, just from a picture of the Abacus one map, an adult can use this quite easily as an Abacus and the child can learn well from a committed teaching adult, but every child in the world benefit from simple movement and realisation of process.
“Kinaesthetic Learning” simply copying process is an ability we are born with, copying process on Abacus One, develops lightning ability in arithmetic mental appreciation of numbers, by the time they are five years old, children will have learnt to speak between 2000 and 10,000 words, many of these words are learned quite naturally, but there are only 30 words needed to take is to 1,000,000 million.
Teaching arithmetic because of the simplicity of the decimal form we utilise is simple, it therefore follows that teaching arithmetic where children are reading word's associated with it, are developing neural highways which assist them to read easily. Teaching young children to read, is in the main better researched then teaching young children to count effectively, whatever level you consider your own intelligence and education to be, will obviously be more than adequate to teach your own child to count and read perfectly.
Simply because memory is better built on repetition, and as regards arithmetic, the processes of calculation are best learnt in short daily exercises, it is my recommendation therefore, that committed parents devote 15 min in everyday to teaching their own children.
This way they will remember how much their child understands, and realise themselves how much their child is learning on a daily basis. Total experience will dominate children's learning until they are able to read and think clearly for themselves, it therefore follows that parents can create the best learning atmosphere for their own children until they are able to read fluently and think for themselves at around 10 years of age.

If you really care about your own child, which obviously everyone does, please commit yourself to teaching that child what it cannot learn without you, for 15 min every day until it is 10 years old, not only will you learn a great deal yourself, but your child will be more than adequately prepared for a lifetime of information gathering, able to make the best decisions about everything they have to tackle during their adult lives. Teaching instantaneous calculation ability and perfect reading are the basis of everything else your child has to learn, if you wish to develop the child's intelligence, it needs to be able to play chess, to play the piano, to type perfectly, and to play table tennis, all these things can be learnt before the child is 10 years old but they would take up hours of parents time.
[SIZE="7"]“System one for everyone” [/SIZE]I consider to be the very minimum that we owe our own children, I have taken a quarter of my own life to perfect the possibility of basic education for every child, in order that it may prevent unnecessary wars and unnecessary individual suffering through unrealised injustice.Good research http://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/sh...php?t=1587[/SIZE]
Math and Science in Japan

Hours of math and science instructional time per year for eighth graders: Japan (90 hours in science and 117 hours in math); Germany (136 hours in science and 114 hours in math); and the United States (140 hours in science and 143 hours in math).

Percentage of eighth grade math and science teachers who assigned homework three to five times a week: Japan (4 percent among science teachers and 21 percent among math teachers); Germany (12 percent among science teachers and 75 percent among math teachers); and the United States (48 percent among science teachers and 86 percent among math teachers).

Ranking of education systems and worker productivity in Asia by Hong Kong-based Political and Economic Risk Consultancy: 1) South Korea; 2) Singapore; 3) Japan; 4) Taiwan; 5) India; 6) China; 7) Malaysia; 8) Hong Kong; 9) the Philippines; 10) Thailand; 11) Vietnam; 12) Indonesia

To stimulate an interest in the science, study guidelines for physics, chemistry and math have been introduced that are illustrated with cute female characters in short skirts and French maid outfits.

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="DarkRed"]The abacus—known as soroban in Japanese—has been a fixture of Japanese education for along time. Kids have traditionally learned how to use it in school and, in recent decades, took special after-school classes on it. When the soroban craze was at its height in the 1980s about 2 million children and adults passed a special sorobon test and received certification on it. By 2005 the soroban test figure had dropped to 180,000 as children relied more on computers and calculators to do arithmetic. In 2008, the figure had risen to 200,000 in the belief that using an abacus was good training for the mind.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Problems with Japanese Education System

While educators and politicians in the United States applaud the disciplined back-to-basic approach of Japanese education, the Japanese themselves criticize it for being too rigid and stifling. In a 1996 poll, 64 percent of the parents surveyed said they distrusted teachers and 67 percent said they were unhappy with the education of their children. One Japanese scholar complained that the emphasis on drills and rote learning in Japanese schools has created a nation of "trained seals."

The Japanese education system provides few opportunities for gifted or talented children or late bloomers and doesn't help students that fall behind. And despite the uniformity of Japanese schools, inequalities do exist. Students from the poorest 20 percent of Japanese society have a one in three chance of attending a university while students in the richest 20 percent have a nine in ten chance. University and juku classes are also very expensive, often prohibitively so for poor families.

Efforts began in the mid-1980s to break away from uniformity with the following goals: 1) offer more varied subject mater; 2) revise the university entrance examination system; 3) provide more education opportunities for people not enrolled in school; and 4) bring in more foreign students.

See Lack of Nobel Prizes, Nature and Science, Science

Education and Politics in Japan
[SIZE="6"]Sharing the benefits of abacus mental arithmetic
By MAJORIE CHIEW
As a child, Tai Chiang Ching was amazed at how fast his uncles and aunts could calculate with the abacus. His grandfather saw how mastery of the abacus brought good job prospects.

With such a talent, you need not look for a job. The job will come to you, so to speak. Representatives from banks or institutions will come looking for someone with such a skill and promptly hire him or her.

When he was still very young, his grandfather encouraged him to learn the abacus. Being a “good grandson”, he took his grandfather’s advice seriously.

When he was in Form Two (14 years old), his school started a mental arithmetic class.

Tai Chiang Ching: ‘Anyone from the age of four to 80 can learn abacus mental arithmetic.’
“I waited such a long time to learn the subject; when I got started, I liked it,” says Tai, who, at 44, is a Taiwanese authority on abacus mental arithmetic.

The founder and president of CMA International (Taiwan), an institution providing abacus mental arithmetic education, Tai is currently on a road tour to key centres in Ipoh, Alor Star, Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca and Batu Pahat, to promote his method of abacus mental arithmetic.

In fact, he enjoyed his lessons so much that he even took tuition classes on the subject after school. Under two different teachers who taught different methods, Tai developed a good understanding of abacus mental arithmetic.

“I was 14 when I started aspiring to be an abacus mental arithmetic teacher and paid particular attention to the subject in class,” says Tai, who spoke in Mandarin during an interview with StarTwo.

One of the bright ones

Two years later, he had learnt the basic skills of using the abacus. He was among 60 students selected to represent his school in an abacus mental arithmetic competition and placed under the tutelage of a special teacher.

After various elimination rounds, he made it as one of the 10 best students in the subject and underwent a three-year programme. During the second year, he represented his school in abacus mental arithmetic competitions. Although the school team did not win first prize, it performed quite well by emerging third and fourth in various inter-school competitions.

When he completed his studies, he wanted to remain in school to be an abacus mental arithmetic teacher. “I expressed my interest to the principal but was turned away. The school board’s policy was to take a trained teacher and not a trainee in abacus mental arithmetic,” says Tai, who was 18 then.

He went away disheartened but he did not give up his dream. He achieved Advanced Level Four in abacus mental arithmetic when he graduated and even made a commitment to his teacher that he would attain the highest level in abacus mental arithmetic, Advanced Level Five.

After he found a job as a trainee teacher, he continued to train himself in abacus mental arithmetic. A year later, he sat for an exam and achieved Advanced Level Five in abacus mental arithmetic. His teacher realised he was a special student because normally no graduate would return to his alma mater to sit for such an exam, says Tai.

At 20, he signed up for three years of National Service and still kept abreast of his pet subject. After serving in the National Service, mental arithmetic was getting very popular in Taiwan and there was a rising demand for teachers and home tutors.

One day, it dawned on him that he did not know how to teach. He wanted to train his own students in mental arithmetic and sought the help of a mental arithmetic teacher.

“I realised that teaching mental arithmetic requires training in the right approaches and methods. I’m very grateful to my teacher who had guided me,” says Tai.

In 1991, he was voted the World’s Best Mental Arithmetic Trainer when his pupil, Lin Zi Yin, 10, beat 200 children (aged 10 years and below) to become the World Champion of the 1991 Mental Arithmetic World Competition in Taiwan.

Tai was also the teacher to Su Wan Ting, then 12, the first prize winner in an abacus calculation competition among 10 outstanding children in California, the United States, in 1996. Tai is also an invigilator and judge for world-class international mental arithmetic examinations and competitions.

After two years of learning from his “master” in mental arithmetic, he began his career in teaching mental arithmetic. In 1984, he began with about 30 students and at one point the number rose to 1,200.

Passionate about mental arithmetic, he wanted to do more.

“It occurred to me that mental arithmetic is easy to teach by training teachers so that they could embark on their own careers. And for this purpose, they need teaching materials,” says Tai, who has written over 200 books on mental arithmetic as well as produced CDs, VCDs and cassettes on abacus mental arithmetic.

He is also president of Yu-Ming Publishing Co. Ltd, Taiwan’s biggest publisher of mental arithmetic books, which was set up in 1993. He also developed a website (http://www.cma.com.tw) in Chinese, which has become a reference tool for users worldwide.

In 2002, Tai decided to promote his method of abacus mental arithmetic internationally, beginning with Hong Kong. Then, he introduced it to Malaysia and Singapore in 2003, to China last year and to New Zealand this year.

How many fingers?

Of four most accepted methods of abacus mental arithmetic – single-hand (two-finger) method, two-hand (four-finger) method, three-finger method and 10-finger method – the four-finger method is superior, he says.

With 22 years experience in this field, he perfected the two-hand method, which he claims is “a much easier and faster way of making arithmetic calculations”.

In 1993, he innovated on the two-hand method (using the thumb and forefinger of both hands) for arithmetic calculations, which was introduced eight years ago in China.

“Anyone from the age of four to 80 can learn abacus mental arithmetic. All is take is two years for someone to master the skill and retain the knowledge for the rest of one’s life. Such knowledge is worth it,” says Tai.

Some parents expect a child to complete the course in one to three months. In such a short time, the child would only know how to solve simple math problems. To have a deeper understanding of the concept he would need to invest more time and practice.

Can one learn abacus mental arithmetic in less time?

Tai reckons that it takes four months to master the foundation level but this time frame can still be shortened to two months or even a month by increasing the lessons to two or three each time, depending on the person’s mental stamina.

Anyway, Tai quips: “Abacus mental arithmetic is fun. If you want to, you can learn it. It’s a matter of interest.” He invites those interested to visit his website to find out more.

With abacus mental arithmetic, a person’s sight, hearing, touch and imagination can be stimulated. One can improve one’s mathematical skills, concentration, memory, response and reflexes and, ultimately, one’s intelligence, claims Tai.

For a child, an abacus is like a toy too. As he touches the abacus beads, the brain is stimulated. A child seldom gets to be involved in such “touch learning”.

It is said that the left brain controls the right hand and the right brain controls the left hand. As abacus mental arithmetic involves the use of two hands, it is said to stimulate a balanced mind.

This arithmetic method is practised in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand.

In Malaysia, there are 20 CMA authorised centres and there are plans to set up 30 more such centres this year, says Ivylina Tiang, CEO of CMA Malaysia (CMAM), which was set up two years ago. CMAM is the master franchise holder of CMA programme in the Asean and Australasia region.

“In Taiwan, the school system still employs the single-hand method in abacus mental arithmetic. However, outside the schools, one can learn the two-hand method from private tutors. In China, teachers need to learn the two-hand system, a newer method of abacus mental arithmetic that has proven to be faster and more accurate,” he says.

Tai says there is no scientific evidence to prove that abacus mental arithmetic is good for anyone. Mental arithmetic teachers are still researching the advantages of this method of arithmetic calculation.

“We know its benefits from testimonies of parents and children as well as teachers. We can tell the difference in a child who has learnt abacus mental arithmetic and one who hasn’t,” he claims.

“Each time the child ‘stirs’ the abacus beads, he is able to tell you the answer. This shows that the brain has accepted the method of calculation. If you can say the answer aloud and ‘see’ it, it means your brain has been stimulated.”

Direct enquiries about the CMA programme to 03-9059 3813 or 012-3665336.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"]Abacus makes a comeback

Article | Published in TES Newspaper on 22 September, 1995 | By: Yojana Sharma

Last Updated:

12 May, 2008

Section:

Article

. .

Renewed interest in the ancient Chinese calculator is helping pupils' motivation and ability, reports Yojana Sharma.
The abacus, the counting machine used by the Chinese for more than 2,500 years, is making a surprise comeback in the East and educationists claim that this ancient calculator has many hidden benefits.

Some elderly Chinese shopkeepers can still be seen totting up numbers swiftly and accurately using the abacus, but it was thought that the electronic calculator would relegate the bead-frame to the scrap-heap. But now abacus learning centres are springing up throughout Asia and tournaments are being held in several countries.

Japan's abacus champion, Takeshi Fujiwara, aged 13, said at a recent international tournament: "I can work out sums faster on the soroban (the Japanese for abacus) than any calculator, and I like it."

The soroban is taught in Japanese schools to all six-year-olds as an intellectual exercise. In January, Malaysia introduced the abacus for all nine-year-olds, after it was found that Chinese children who use it consistently do better at mathematics than their Malay counterparts.

Now Thai education officials are looking at the possibility of introducing it in their classrooms.

Abacus teaching is on the increase in special schools in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea. But, in the age of the computer, the abacus is not just a tool for calculating. It is believed to sharpen the mind, aid concentration and assist learning in subjects other than mathematics.

Simon Wu, who learned to use the abacus in China, opened his own training centre in Hong Kong in 1992 to teach five-to-15-year-olds.

In the classroom, rhythmic clicks of abacus beads can be heard as Mr Wu reads out in ringing tones a string of three-digit numbers to add and subtract. Almost before he announces the last number, eager hands shoot up with the answer.

Some children do not even finger their bead-frame. They stare at the ceiling, press their palms to their temples in concentration, cover their eyes to visualise the abacus better or toy with an imaginary frame before coming up with the answer at lightning speed. After teaching children to add, subtract, multiply and divide, they are taught to calculate mentally.

It takes several months of teaching and a lot of practice to master the "mental abacus". However, children are so amazed by what they can achieve when a string of numbers is thrown at them, they are ready for anything. Parents report that their children's concentration, memory and school work improves.

"Mathematics can have a special place in confidence-building because there is only one correct answer," says one teacher. "It is easy to measure success. When a child with an abacus gets the sums right over and over again, he becomes motivated and confident in his ability. Then he can learn anything."

Mr Wu believes the concentration required to compute using a mental abacus calms children. "You can learn a lot if you are calm," he says.

Mr Wu's observation may not be so wide of the mark. Neurologists talk of a state of relaxed concentration, of brain-wave movement that is 50 per cent slower than the normal waking-thinking state which allows total concentration and synchronisation of the left and right sides of the brain.

This, according to scientific research, is the perfect state for reading, listening and other forms of learning.

There is something in the way that all the senses are used that primes the children for learning, according to Mr Wu.

The click and colour of the beads, the use of fingers and the way the teacher recites the numbers faster and faster, "like a train pulling out of a station", forces students to stay alert.

Takeshi Hatta, an assistant professor at the University of Osaka Kyoiku, found that abacus-users process mathematical concepts on the right side of the brain, the seat of intuition and imagination, rather than the left side, normally used for logic and mathematics.

This ties in with the results of research in the United States, which shows that a balance between the two halves of the brain can speed up learning, and the belief of many teachers that the abacus aids lateral thinking.

[/SIZE]
:tourist: -------------------:holiday: ---------good-:choc: