Teach the Brain Forums
Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Bilingual / intercultural teaching (/Thread-Bilingual-intercultural-teaching)

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - OECD - 24-11-2004

Many countries have to address phenomena such as immigration movements, minorities groups, bilingual nations… How should the school face them?
Does raising a child in a bilingual environment hinder his/her language development? Should children from a minority linguistic group be integrated in the regular school system?
Tell us about your experience and opinions on this.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Ivan Hubrecht - 15-12-2004

Every child should have the right to be educated in it's native language.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - LizTill - 17-12-2004

In an ideal world you are correct, but in the realities of the UK education system with at least 30 children per class, how practical is it to teach a child in its home language if the teacher doesn't know that language?

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - foreign brain - 21-12-2004

Yes I agree that you both are right, everybody must have the right to learn in their own language but this is a system that is difficult to implement. So... what kind alternative ways do you see to give all children equal opportunities on learning?
Should we encourage the participation of some immigrants as schools assistants?
Should we support teachers to learn the languages of their students?
Should we diversify teaching in SEVERAL (or ALL) languages?
:confused:

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Cathy Trinh - 30-12-2004

My husband came to the U.S. as a refugee who was denied the use of a French-speaking teacher, because of the teacher's union contract. Thus he learned to speak English using the immersion method. His opinion is that this is the best method. This occurred in the seventies, and maybe it wouldn't happen today, but I suspect that the immersion method is the fastest way to teach any language. Smile

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - 4th grade teacher - 04-01-2005

I have a classroom of fourth graders that I have to teach our state's standdards to. These standards include nine different categories of math. Students who are not white and English speaking are at a great disadvantage meeting these standards.
I get students who speak no English, and students for whom it is a second language. I have taken a little Spanish, and I have cue cards and dictionaries all around when I need to translate. I think it's very reassuring to these children to hear their native language, and they appreciate my lame attempts. I also celebrate holidays of Mexico, Korea, India ect. when we celebrate our traditional American holidays.
But, I still struggle with teaching math skills. I listened to an Italian grandparent explain subtraction computation as he was taught, and it was very different. I know that in Mexico it is considered bad to write down steps instead of doing them in your head. It helps to talk with parents, but they are often reluctant to do so.
I have to assess the children the same way, and this includes writing their explanations. It is so difficult to assign performance grades to children who I know are able to do the work, but aren't able to articulate it according to the "standards".
I think the key is a lot of trust, so students feel comfortable enough to learn.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Cathy Trinh - 05-01-2005

Wow are you challenged! How does your class compare to the rest of the school as far as non-English speaking students goes? Is is possible to enlist the assistence of other students who speak the same language as your students to come into the class as peer tutors? Often students go into other classrooms to read to younger children as "book buddies". Could a math equivelent be used? What about before or after school math clubs? Good luck! Cathy

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Cathy Trinh - 05-01-2005

I've been thinking about the concern for performance grading. I live in Michigan and there may be differences in how this problem is resolved and so my solution in Michigan may not be legally applicable anywhere else. Is it possible in your state to work with NCLB guidelines to develop alternative assessments for your Engilish language learners? According to the "No Child Left Behind A Toolkit for Teachers" on page 41, it is up to the state to consider what program is to be used for English learners. I am curious about the support or lack of support that you are recieving from your board of education. One last thought. I attend a math conference every fall where there are many interesting presentations. One, called Math Wizards, has developed a series of games to help the students develop basic math skills. Perhaps you might find some useful information by contacting Cynthia Matulewlcz or Antoinette Woodward at mathwizards@hotmail.com (I lifted this information from their brochure). As of November, 2004 they were still developing their web page. Could you share some successful strategies as this is a serious challenge for all teachers.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Karldw - 18-01-2005

This is not a direct response to the question but rather an indication of where a part of the answer may be. Professor Uwe Multhaup at the University of Wuppertal in Germany teaches teachers who will teach second languages. He has excellent materials on the brain and language learning, particularly second languages. If you would like more information ask either here or contact me directly.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Cathy Trinh - 18-01-2005

Will you post your information about Professor Uwe Multhaup here? Thanks, Cathy

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Karldw - 19-01-2005

Prof Multhaup is teaching teachers of second languages and is not specifically addressing learning disabilities. I found his site because I was working with a reading disabled student. I felt that the materials of Prof Multhaup's helped me with the problem at hand. By thinking in terms of brain function in manners similar to those he gives we were able to take a 7th grade student who could not read the word "a" and have him reading in a matter of months. The concepts are valid but need additional development.

http://www2.uni-wuppertal.de/FB4/anglistik/multhaup/

There are materials in both English and German.

While at the website you should notice the type of information on brain structure and brain operation that is put into the new curricula. Notice also how he describes how the theory of brain function relates to the learning process. Throughout the site he describes how brain processing relates to various teaching styles.

I look forward to continued discussion in this area.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - OECD - 19-01-2005

Dear Karldw, Cathy Trinh and 4th grade teacher.
We really appreciate your participation in this forum. We have the feeling that important subjects and real challenges are being discussed here. Following your suggestions, we have contacted Professor Multhaup and the Mathwizards Team in order to invite to participate directly in our discussion Forum. We hope they will be discussing with us soon.
We have also sent our neurosciences experts your main concerns in order to know what theirs opinions are. Please be patient.

In the meanwhile, feel free to ask any other question you have, and invite your colleagues to comme to the Teacher Forum!.

I look forward to see you around!

OECD moderator

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - 4th grade teacher - 23-01-2005

This past week I gave a presentation to the staff at my school on issues of teaching problem solving. My principal asked me to do this because our math scores on the state wide test last year yielded 39% of the students in our school passing in math. Problem solving is one of nine tested categories. Nine of my students didn't pass (out of 17 students). Of those, six were students who spoke Spanish at home.
That's why I have this desire to find out about teaching ESL students, and what happens when we assess them with an American test.
When researching the specific test we gave last spring, the WASL 2004, I tried to find the test items used for assessing problem solving. There were no released items from the 2004 test, only scores. I looked at the 2003 released items and found two that assessed problem solving. ( my class scores were better that year, but I didn't keep the actual numbers.) These two items yielded up to 13 points on the test, more than any other category (e.g. number sense was 6 points). Yet,when I looked up how to teach this skill, and what the skill looked like, there was no information available, they were still working on that. How can they justify these questions when they can't tell us that information?
I have found the web site referred to above on teaching second languages, and I've printed out a couple sections to read through. I'm grateful for this forum and the resources world wide that are available. I'm convinced that changes need to be made in the way we use statewide testing and district assessment, and I hope to find some insight here. I have shared this web site with my colleagues, and they are also interested.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - 4th grade teacher - 30-01-2005

I found the web site by Wuppertal.
Well, I was after the information on the brain structure and teaching styles, but instead I found information on bilingual education in the US and Canada. Wow. American arrogance at its finest. Here we have all this evidence of superior teaching techniques in other countries, and America is afraid to give up the title of superiority of the English language. The language policy of the US is tragic.Thank goodness our teacher's union recognizes the problem. May I apologize on behalf of my country?
Needless to say, the English Plus ideology has my vote. The total immersion program in Canada yields students performing as well as other mainstream students. The actual testing data was not given, so I am going to assume that they are using standardized test results. The partial immersion students tend to lag behind, which is what my students are doing.
This is putting all sorts of ideas into my head. I think I'll try to designate a portion of my day as being Spanish/Italian/Vietnamese speaking only. It may not help on this year's test, but I'm willing to let that go. I'll let you know what happens. Ciao.

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Bosgeest - 01-03-2005

Hello,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm really glad there is a forum like this to learn from each others experiences in teaching in a "brain-based" manner!

I think that there are several methods for teaching second language. Which method you choose should depend on the situation at hand. I read that the 'total immersion program' in Canada showed great results, but it is "only" one way to handle the situation. It may not always be the most ideal way.

What I would like to add is that I think that in the first place the students themselves must be challenged to learn the new language. Teachers, in the first place, have to create a save environment where (second-language)learning can take place. Students often feel insecure in speaking a strange language, because they are afraid to make mistakes. When this happens, learning itself will be impaired.

I always have to think about, the well-known, songbirds who learn their language just by actively repeating other birds. How do we create that same atmosphere in a classroom?

Another great website where you can find lots of useful information on second-language learning is:

http://www.brainconnection.com

Bye

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - 4th grade teacher - 13-03-2005

I recently attended a workshop given by Dr. Garcias who is from Texas. He is well known in the field of dual language instruction. The information I gained from his presentation was very valuable in helping me to understand why my Spanish speaking students have such a difficult time with comprehension skills.
The basic idea is that students who come from Mexico speaking Spanish on a casual basis, and have families that speak Spanish, should be taught literacy in Spanish K-5. They learn English by hearing it and using it at other times. By the time these kids are in 7th grade, they should be learning in English.
The students I have in fourth grade have been in an ESL program since kindergarten. They have been behind in literacy because they have been trying to learn English. They needed to learn the language first, and then learn the literacy skills. By fourth grade, these students are expected to be able to read and the focus becomes reading comprehension. Well, they aren’t able to bridge the gap from reading phonetically to reading for comprehension because they haven’t had the time to make that connection.
According to Dr. Garcias, the research indicates that students in ESL programs like the one at our school will become more and more behind others. The students who are taught in dual language programs stay learning at the same rate as English speaking students. Their drop out rate is much less, and test scores are much higher.
Smile

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Toni Woodward - 20-08-2005

Cathy Trinh Wrote:I've been thinking about the concern for performance grading. I live in Michigan and there may be differences in how this problem is resolved and so my solution in Michigan may not be legally applicable anywhere else. Is it possible in your state to work with NCLB guidelines to develop alternative assessments for your Engilish language learners? According to the "No Child Left Behind A Toolkit for Teachers" on page 41, it is up to the state to consider what program is to be used for English learners. I am curious about the support or lack of support that you are recieving from your board of education. One last thought. I attend a math conference every fall where there are many interesting presentations. One, called Math Wizards, has developed a series of games to help the students develop basic math skills. Perhaps you might find some useful information by contacting Cynthia Matulewlcz or Antoinette Woodward at mathwizards@hotmail.com (I lifted this information from their brochure). As of November, 2004 they were still developing their web page. Could you share some successful strategies as this is a serious challenge for all teachers.

Hello,
My partner and I just discovered your forum. We were surprised to see our e-mail address posted and our program discussed. Our website: mathwizardsinc.com will be up and running within a couple of weeks. We hope to have you browse our material. If anyone from the forum tried to contact us by e-mail at mathwizards@hotmail.com, we did not receive any communication. The mail is checked every day. We will be at the DACTM Conference again Nov. 12, 2005 at Lamphere High School, Madison Heights, MI.

Math Wizards, Inc
Toni Woodward
Cindy Matulewicz

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Christina - 07-09-2005

This is a very engaging thread. Thanks for all of your contributions.

It is a common misconception that learning a second (or third, or fourth…) language can disrupt learning of the native tongue. This is simply not true. It is analogous to suggesting that learning a second sport will disrupt learning of another sport. Consider, for example, Cardinal Giuseppe Mezzofanti or Sir Richard Francis Burton, who both learned to speak over 20 languages with complete fluency.

There are many neuromyths such as this. From your perspective, what can be done to prevent and diffuse them?

Thanks very much for your insights,
Christina

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - geodob - 07-09-2005

Christina, in regard to Neuromyths, I would note this weeks neuromyth from Prof Elliot under the Dyslexia Row thread.
Where I am becoming aware of the distress this is causing people with Dyslexia in the UK.
Where the explanation that they had for their difficulty, has been removed and replaced with Emotional Problems as the cause.
Whilst most people with Dyslexia will dismiss this explanation.
The greater damage is the public exposure that it has been given.
Which will contribute to the general publics perception!
So that from this week on, when a Dyslexic person informs a friend, Teacher, Employer, etc. That they have Dyslexia.
The question in their mind will be; Do they now think that I have an Emotional Problem?
No doubt many people will now be reluctant to mention their Dyslexia?
Having created this neuromyth, it could take years to undo?

Perhaps you could start a new thread on Neuromyths?
Geoff.

Smile

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Christina - 16-08-2006

Learning a second language influences brain structure, and may have cognitive advantages beyond the realm of linguistics.

Dr. Mark Lythgoe explores this issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/saywhatyouthink.shtml

Should learning a second language be a priority in school? It seems that second language learning would facilitate an understanding of cultural diversity that could ultimately promote peace. However, teachers and students are already overburdened with current curricular demands. What do you think?

All the best,
Christina

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - Christina - 04-09-2006

New imaging systems in Sydney will help scientists study language processing and track differences across the lifespan. Read about this technology at the following url:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/brain-imaging-machine-spells-progress-in-any-language/2006/08/31/1156817034601.html

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - OECD Expert - 03-11-2006

U.S. researchers using an optical imaging technology have found areas in the brain that indicate bilingualism: http://news.monstersandcritics.com/health/article_1212080.php/Brain_areas_indicating_bilingualism_found

Cheers,
Christina

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - John Nicholson - 03-11-2006

We do not know What We do not Know WE learn many things instantly but we need tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have pulled this directly from the boss, it has been extremly usefull to my ongoing thinking concerning young childrens learning tools

a few minutes taken to listen to these two tapes is extremly worthwhile

Second langauge learning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learning a second language influences brain structure, and may have cognitive advantages beyond the realm of linguistics.

Dr. Mark Lythgoe explores this issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/...youthink.shtml

Should learning a second language be a priority in school? It seems that second language learning would facilitate an understanding of cultural diversity that could ultimately promote peace. However, teachers and students are already overburdened with current curricular demands. What do you think?

All the best,
Christina

Bilingual / intercultural teaching - confused - 06-11-2006

everybody must have the right to learn in their own language but this is quite idealistic for someone to implement the system and i sincerely think that we could do it but it would include the family, the system and the perpetual change