Teach the Brain Forums
Dyslexia and learning - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Dyslexia and learning (/Thread-Dyslexia-and-learning)

Dyslexia and learning - LizTill - 17-12-2004

What are the best resources for teaching children with this learning difficulty?

Dyslexia and learning - OECD - 20-12-2004

We will soon be incorporating a thorough section on reading disabilities and a full reference guide for dyslexia. In the meantime, I would suggest you consult the following book:
Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level -- by SALLY MD SHAYWITZ
Please refer also to our Questions and Answers section on our main website:
http://www.oecd.org/edu/brain.
If you have any further specific questions, I will ask one of our scientists to answer them in the forum.

Dyslexia and learning - frulle - 21-12-2004

The teacher in school also asks for help for a 10-year old with dyslexya.
There are a few questions:
- which carreer is best for people with dyslexia?
- are there certain things a teacher can do to make it easier for the child?
- is it possible that someone with dyslexia has other problems also? how to know that?

Babbelute@hotmail.com

Dyslexia and learning - OECD Expert - 11-01-2005

I strongly suggest following the general outline provided in the well documented book by Sally Shaywitz "Overcoming Dyslexia."

Dyslexia and learning - Cathy Trinh - 12-01-2005

Q: I hope that you can answer my questions. I am in the process of trying “Kurzaweil 3000” assistive technology. The software using a scanner, reads text out loud. It is my understanding that Dyslexic readers use the frontal region of the brain to read, which is ineffective and causes reading problems. I am wondering if by having the student read text, along with listening to the text being read by another source, if the second part of the brain used for reading is being stimulated. This in turn is causing the brain to create connections between the two brain areas for Dyslexics? In time, could the Dyslexic brain become “normal” in the sense that it is reading using the brain in two areas, instead of one?

Answer: To our knowledge there is no evidence that supports the very interesting proposal you are making.
Experience in reading can be very important in the development of fluency. Moreover phonics based programs have proven somewhat effective in helping the child to learn to decode. Whether exposure to the written words in the presence of a simultaneous auditory input would work seems rather doubtful if the child has not yet developed the decoding principle. However, we are not aware of specific tests of your proposal.

Cassandra Davis
OECD Brain and Learning Web Editor

Dyslexia and learning - tdpeters - 12-01-2005

Cathy, et al.

I too find your suggestion very interesting. Like Cassandra, I am not aware of any research that deals with dyslexia and a corelation between visual and auditory stimulus, per se.

However, with all due respect to Cassandra, I disagree that this possibility is doubtful. There has recently been a lot of research done with cortical remapping and nueural plasticity in the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorders, and phantom limbs with amputee patients. In both cases, with the right type of sustained input, the brains of these patients were able to make connections atypical of a "normal" brain.

In addition, a group of researchers working with language and learning disorders discovered neural plasticity in the auditory cortex where modified speech altered the brains of patients in such a way that they could distinguish phonemes and map them correctly to written words. This group of researchers eventually marketed their concept and is now sold as a software package known as Fast4Word.

Respectfully,
Troy D. Peters

Dyslexia and learning - Cathy Trinh - 12-01-2005

Troy,
Thank-you for responding. Now I understand why Cassandra wanted me to post her response to the question I posed to her. As for what you wrote: "In addition, a group of researchers working with language and learning disorders discovered neural plasticity in the auditory cortex where modified speech altered the brains of patients in such a way that they could distinguish phonemes and map them correctly to written words. This group of researchers eventually marketed their concept and is now sold as a software package known as Fast4Word." Could you pass on where you got this information please? Cathy

Dyslexia and learning - tdpeters - 12-01-2005

Cathy, I do not have the exact resources at my fingertips, but I will get them. I can tell you, however, that the researchers involved in this work were Michael Merzenich from the University of California at San Francisco, and Paula Tallal and Steve Miller from Rutgers University. Interestingly enough, I forgot to mention in my other post, this discovery was made when Tallal was researching dyslexia!

FYI: These researchers went on to form Scientific Learning Corporation. You used to be able to get some of their reserach from that website, but I haven't checked for a couple of years.

I hope this helps! I will provide some bibliographic information soon.

Respectfully,
Troy D. Peters

Dyslexia and learning - OECD - 13-01-2005

If you are looking for the website for FastForWord it is: http://www.scilearn.com/
Indeed this method has been developed by Michael Merezenich at the University of California : http://www.ucsf.edu/neurosc/faculty/neuro_merzenich.html
We are aiming to have a good reference section on dyslexia on our website in the near future. Also our remedial tools website which is under construction will have other dyslexia remedial tools for free download soon.

Dyslexia and learning - frulle - 26-01-2005

My son has problems of which I think that he has dyslexia: (and so have I)
but his reading is fine. So he did this test and they say he is not .....but I have my doubts: he gets ill in the wagon, he forgets things, he can't read the clock unless it is digital, he dreams a lot, , ......
Since he is very little, every evening I read 2 or 3 books for childeren before going to bed and we all liked these moments very much.
So I think it can't be bad to read out loud while childeren see the picture and the words....

Dyslexia and learning - Cathy Trinh - 26-01-2005

I am wondering why you think that your son is dyslexic? How old is he? You mention that he has been tested. What tests were used? My son was tested and it was determined that he had A.D.D. Not until the correct tests were used by a highly qualified psychologist did he get an accurate diagnosis. Have you read Dr. Sally Shaywitz's book "Overcoming Dyslexia"? Not only is this the best book on the subject that I have read, but it gives an extensive list of appropriate tests that can be used to diagnose dyslexia. By the way, reading to kids is recommendable for kids of all ages!

Dyslexia and learning - OECD - 28-01-2005

Dear Frulle,
Concerning your son, there is another brain disorder which is related closely to dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADHD called dyspraxia (motor coordination, difficulties in carrying out any complex sequence). We intend to shortly have primers on all these different brain disorders on our website, in the meantime you might like to look at the following website for more information about the condition:
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

Dyslexia and learning - frulle - 17-02-2005

Dyslexie in these days is seen as a problem.
I hope one day people will recognice dyslexia as a different way of thinking.
This difference makes that new ideas, new ways of solving a problem and new ideas can be created. If it is well looked dyslexie can be an extra......
it is just the way it is looked at.........

Dyslexia and learning - Christina - 28-07-2005

We happy to announce a new primer on dyslexia is now avaiable on our website. You can view it at the follow URL:

http://www.oecd.org/document/51/0,2340,en_2649_14935397_35149043_1_1_1_1,00.html

Dyslexia and learning - geodob - 29-07-2005

I was a bit concerned that the above link is singularly focussed on Dysphonesia, which is a sub-type of Dyslexia. Where it is important to know that Dyslexia is but a general term. Which often leads to wrong assumptions?
Here is a breakdown from the Canadian Dyslexia Centre:
types of dyslexia:

Dysnemkinesia Deficit in the ability to develop motor gestalts
(engrams) for written symbols.
Dysphonesia Deficit in symbol sound (grapheme-phoneme)
integration and the inability to develop
phonetic word analysis synthesis skills.
Dyseidesia Deficit in the ability to perceive whole words
(total configuration) as visual gestalts and
match with auditory gestalts.
Dysphoneidesia Deficit in grapheme-phoneme integration and
in the ability to perceive whole words as visual
gestalts and match with auditory gestalts.
Dysnemkinphonesia Deficit in the ability to develop motor gestalts
for written symbols and in grapheme-phoneme
integration.
Teachers and Professionals Training
Dysnemkineidesia Deficit in the ability to develop motor gestalts
for written symbols and in the ability to
perceive whole words as visual gestalts and
match with auditory gestalts.
Dysnemkinphoneidesia Deficit in the ability to develop motor gestalts
for written symbols, grapheme-phoneme
integration and in perceiving whole words as
visual gestalts and matching with auditory
gestalts.
Source: Griffin and Walton, Dyslexia Determination Test (DDT)—Examiner’s Instruction Manual, Los Angeles: I-MED, 1987.

Dyslexia and learning - Christina - 29-07-2005

The definition of dyslexia has varied over the past two decades. When the manual you refer to was written in 1987, dyslexia was often described in this overarching way. However, recent neurobiological research has provided the necessary knowledge to narrow the definition of dyslexia to reflect its likely cause. Therefore, The International Dyslexia Association adopted the following definition of dyslexia in 2002:

“Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.”

The primer was based upon this definition, which has also been adopted by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) and currently serves as the official definition of dyslexia.

Hope this clears up your concerns.

Best,
Christina

Dyslexia and learning - geodob - 30-07-2005

Hi Christina,
Whilst I appreciate my reference was to a manual from the last century.
I would suggest that it remains relevant? Given the spectrum of Reading Disorders that have become associated with it.
For example, the most common public perception of Dyslexia, is the reversal of letters when writing; 'Dysnemkinesia'. Which is only a problem for some Dyslexics. That needs to be addressed as Motor issue.
Equally a problem with mental imaging and the ability to create and manipulate visual working memory gestalts, as applied to the mental imaging of 'words', is also within the Dyslexia definition.
Yet we also have the Auditory processing issue, where a problem with auditory working memory can equate with Dyslexia.
But then we can have synchronisation problems between the left and right ears or eyes? Where the left and right brains operate their own eye and ear.
Also we have the procedural -sequential processing.
Not to mention bringing this altogether and introducing associated memories.
My basic point is that a breakdown anywhere in this network, could cause a learning problem that may be defined as Dyslexia?
Where all too often, remediation is targetted at the broader definition, rather than more precisely identifying the relevant issue.
Though perhaps this is what I view this Forum as representing?
Moving beyond the labels, looking for a deeper intrinsic understanding?

Geoff.

Dyslexia and learning - Christina - 01-08-2005

Thanks Geoff. Dyslexia can have a wide range of symptoms associated with it, which, as you mention, has rendered the disorder somewhat elusive to treatment in the past. However, a phonological processing deficit is the most consistent symptom among individuals with dyslexia, with an incidence reported as high as 100% (Morris et al., 1998; Ramus et al., 2003). Treatment targeted at addressing a phonological deficit has proven effective across varied cases of dyslexia, so the future looks hopeful (Shaywitz et al., 2004).

Dyslexia and learning - playtowin123 - 20-01-2007

Hi out there. I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I've been searching the web for info about dyslexia and found this board. I've never thought about joining a board before, but after reading through some posts, I'm happy I did. I just want to say thanks to everyone for the support you offer eachother here.

Dyslexia and learning - playtowin123 - 26-01-2007

I was doing some research and I found this site called realhealth.tv which has a great video. Even though I am a new member, I think everyone here would really like watching this film b/c it was really nice hearing and watching someone talk about their difficulties and how they cope. I wanted to share this with everyone here, hoping It would help you guys too. Here’s the link http://www.realhealth.tv/site.html?goto=34&vid=50&vo=0

Keep strong everyone!

Dyslexia and learning - playtowin123 - 30-01-2007

I hope everyone enjoyed the video!

Dyslexia and learning - John Nicholson - 15-02-2007

This is a simple starting point for any child starting to speak, one is very obvious, five is the thumb, two has to be the second finger, three the longest finger, and four the last in the row of four fingers all very obvious.
I have just asked my son to concentrate on this exercise with a slow to speak late three year old. PLEASE TRY IT OUT. By working on one hand we should produce perfection easily. it must also be a good start for any child of any age with a problem. In previous studies with severe dyslexic six year olds once they had developed normal maths ability by using Abacus One their ability in reading quickly caught up with their class. :am:

POINTING WITH FIVE FINGERS

TEACH ANY CHILD TO NAME ITS LEFT HAND FINGERS BY ITS CORRECT NAME

ONCE THE CHILD IS PERFECT IN THOSE FINGER NAMES

PLACE ANY FIVE ITEMS ON A CLEAR TABLE AND SHOW THE CHILD JUST HOW TO

POINT WITH FIVE FINGERS