Teach the Brain Forums
Learning through my image - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Learning through my image (/Thread-Learning-through-my-image)

Learning through my image - Duncan Adams - 24-12-2004

Please go to the Hypothesis Factory and read my hypothesis, then feel free to roam my WEB site http://www.ipeimage.com for more on how we learn. I would welcome your feedback.

Festive Greetings
Duncan Adams Smile
http://www.IPEimage.com

Learning through my image - tdpeters - 12-01-2005

Duncan, I agree with your hypothesis, generally. However, I wonder if your hypothesis is grounded more in perception, than vision? For example, a blind person, which obviously has no "vision" also creates images in their brain based on perceptual information from their somatosensory cortex.

Respectfully,
Troy D. Peters

Learning through my image - Duncan Adams - 13-01-2005

Thank you very much for your feedback - it is most welcome.

I cannot say I disagree - we all have the following capabilities (blind or not):

Perception - The neurological processes by which such recognition and interpretation are effected.

Visualisation - formation of mental visual images.

You will notice parallels between my method of teaching how to learn and something we do naturally throughout our daily lives: formation, recognition and interpretation, visually or mentally.

Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with the anatomy of the brain, but it is very interesting for me to see how our natural functions map to the anatomy brain.

It would be nice to be in a position to research my methods further, alongside scientists - if my hypothesis is near close, I will be very happy.

Learning through my image - frulle - 17-01-2005

Would it make a difference if words would be written from right to left, would dyslectic have less difficulties?

Learning through my image - Duncan Adams - 17-01-2005

Be any nationality, read in any fashion, left to right, top to bottom - the point is our words and writing (English or Chinese) labour our brains unnecessarily. We live in one world and need one common framework for communicating - my work is focused on this goal.

As you well know, Dyslexia is a condition that makes it difficult for someone to read and spell. In my method of teaching, reading is substituted by recognition and written words have no function. It makes me wonder, if we all embrace & leverage the natural brain, dyslexia may become something of the past.

I hope this helps.

Learning through my image - tdpeters - 18-01-2005

In the spirit of scholarly debate:

How do words and writing labor our brains unnecessarily?

Letters are simply iconic symbols of sounds that when put together in coherent strings convey messages. At the most basic definition, isn't a picture just an iconic symbol of a message? If a picture is worth a thousand words, think about the number of possiblities a person has to go through in order to "understand." Wink

Are you implying that you think we should simply do away with the written language and communicate in a fashion similar to hieroglyphics? Don't we already have a universal communication medium in the form of sign language?

Finally, when you bring dyslexia into this discussion you are adding another level of ambiguity. To define dyslexia simply as a condition that makes it difficult for someone to read and spell grossly oversimplifies the problem. Many times, people confuse dyslexia with a condition known as strephosymbolia, or the reversal of letters and words. At the risk of being presumptuous, dyslexia is typically synonymous with word recognition deficits, which is only one subtype of reading disorder. Reading disorders generally have comorbid conditions found in language (temporal lobe), vision (occipital lobe), and attention (frontal lobe) deficits where the symptopms are the end products rather than the causes.

Respectfully,
Troy D. Peters

Learning through my image - Duncan Adams - 24-01-2005

Sorry for the delay in replying and the ambiguity - I intend to clarify my thoughts on my Web site as soon as I get chance.

Smile

Learning through my image - Duncan Adams - 01-02-2005

At the end of studing any one topic, I have found that I have been left with a dictionary of images. When starting to learn a topic on the same theme, I have used previously defined images to build new images - I call these images IPEimage. Each IPEimage represent information, my hypothesis shows one.

If my hypothesis is true, and people start to adopt my method of learning (with the intention of making it easier to recall), similar dictionaries would be created across many subjects and someone wanting to learn a topic could use the pre-defined dictionary and maps (of images) to learn (and recall) the subject.

I have found that by traversing IPEimage maps is fun and easy, permitting the recall of facts and figures. Could it be that over the course of time, the focus will turn to the IPEimages rather than the words they represent? I do not pretend to have an answer to all these questions, neither do I on something as complex as dyslexia.

Why do words labour our brains (when learning)? In the past, I have been given over a thousand double-sided pages of documentation on a training course and have been expected to learn it all for a professional exam. In preparation, I begin the task by mapping out the facts into short, bite size chunks of information, as I believe the brain feels happier learning information in this fashion. I then transform the information into IPEimages, and once I can recall them, I know I can decrypt the information I need to be able to recall. The point is that I have shrunk so many pages of words down to say 30 pages of images. Are they really all necessary to learn a topic? If my hypothesis and method works, are we trying to teach topics in a laboured fashion? I can only speak from my own experiences.

Finally, I touched on recognition and reading in a previous mail. Does the brain operate the same way if it recognises something than if it does not? Recognition is just the first part of the process, but some routing of that data must take place, is anybody aware of any research in this area? By example, I hope to show you what I mean on my WEB site when I get chance.