Teach the Brain Forums
Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness (/Thread-Nearly-half-of-teachers-have-suffered-from-mental-illness)

Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - OECD - 25-03-2005

An interesting article has been pasted below which appeared on the 24th of March in the Independent on mental health of teachers. We would like to invite teachers to comment on this, as this week is officially known as Mental Health Action Week (27 March to 2 April 2005).
Nearly half of the country's secondary school teachers have suffered mental health problems due to worsening pupil behaviour, a survey has revealed.

The research, by the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, on 300 secondary school teachers, showed that abuse at the hands of pupils had left 46 per cent taking antidepressants or facing long lay-offs from school through stress.

One teacher told researchers he had been assaulted 10 times during 18 years in the profession and had suffered two breakdowns. He said he had been on antidepressants for more than three years as a result.

The survey also revealed that 72 per cent of teachers had considered quitting their jobs because they were worn out by some pupils' persistent disruptive behaviour, such as threats, swearing, locking teachers out of classrooms, vandalising school property, letting down car tyres, stealing keys, throwing eggs at staff and spitting at them. One in seven (14 per cent) said they had suffered actually bodily harm from pupils.

However, in many of the cases, the school had turned a blind eye to abuse and failed to exclude the pupils involved.

Mary Bousted, general secretary of the 160,000-strong union, will raise teachers' alarm over discipline with Ruth Kelly, the Education Secretary, when she addresses the ATL annual conference in Torquay today.

She said it was not enough to talk about "zero tolerance" for disruptive behaviour as Ms Kelly had done. "There needs to be a reflection about what zero tolerance means," she added.

"It should mean much better support for teachers and more pupil referral units - 'sin-bins'. These youngsters have to go somewhere. What we can't do as a society is leave them to roam the streets."

Yesterday the conference demanded a code of conduct to outline acceptable pupil behaviour and called for risk assessments to be prepared on all pupils with a history of aggression.

Doctor Bousted said: "Teaching is a highly intensive, highly stressful job. Teachers need to understand there are forms of help available to them and when they are feeling stressed they need to know this is not something that's shameful and they should seek help."

Meanwhile, delegates voted unanimously to urge the Government to abandon its plans to set up a network of 200 privately sponsored academies to replace struggling secondary schools in inner-city areas.

Phil Baker, from Swindon, claimed they were a "Trojan Horse", pioneering the way for privatisation of the entire education system. He said many of the sponsors - who included top independent schools - had little experience of tackling pupil disruption. "Top public schools could run them [the academies],'' he said. "The only experience they've had of managing challenging behaviour is dealing with Hooray Henrys."

Dr Bousted said many of the academies adopted a banding system - taking 20 per cent of its pupils from each of five different ability bands. "In some areas the academies cover, 20 per cent of the most able is hoovering up the vast majority of able pupils in that area," she said, adding that other schools suffered as a result.

Source: Independent, 23/03/2005

Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - geodob - 26-03-2005

In response to this article, I would mention that I retired from secondary teaching after only a year, due to a concern for my future mental health.
Since which I've been investigating the spectrum of so-called Learning Disorders.
During my teacher training, the major focus was on Behaviour Management.
Where I note in the article, that improved Disciplinary approaches seem to be suggested as the solution.
Whereas I would seriously question this approach?
Rather, I would suggest that the real problem is the lack of genuine practical recognition of the diversity of modes of learning, that individual students bring to the classroom. Where this Learning Diversity is labelled as Learning Disorder.
The failure to fully respond to this diversity, creates Learning environments where many Students are unable to effectively participate in Learning.
In which case, it is fully understandable that over time they will become disruptive.
Where the common solution is to utilise a spectrum of punitive actions in an attempt to force Students into a silent inactive state.
Followed up with the all too common use of Drugs to silence Students.

The only real solution is to create Learning Environments that acknowledge Learning Diversity.
That recognises each individuals 'mode of learning', and builds Students confidence in their capacity to Learn.
Geoff.

Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - 4th grade teacher - 06-04-2005

My first year of teaching was my last for a very long time. I was 24 and teaching emotionally disturbed high school students in a rural district. When I did go back (ten years later), I taught in elementary school, and I have been there ever since. I transitioned from teaching resource room, to an integrated spec ed and reg ed room, to a regular classroom.
Most of my problems in my first year were due to inexperience, but I have to say that I wasn't supported in any way by the rest of the staff and the principal. my picture wasn't even put in the year book.
In later years, I became a negotiator for our local union. It was in this role that I got acquainted with the discipline policy, or lack thereof, in supporting teachers who were being emotionally abused by parents and students, and sometimes other staff members. The district was very reluctant to put anything into our teacher contract that helped us. They would say that we were covered under the law. But, how easy is it for teachers to get a lawyer? Contracts are supposed to have language for the working conditions under which teachers work. Teachers should not be subjected to abuse, and if they are they should be supported. Rather than putting the burden on the teacher to show abuse, the burden should be on the abuser. Teachers all too often accept situations and brush them off , because on the whole, teachers are nice people. And, doesn't it just come with the job? How often have we heard that?
It's taken me long time, but I have come to the point where I can tell my principal I will not have a student in my room, I will not take certain students on field trips, I will not sign any IEP that does not refer to behavior skills when needed, and I am not afraid to tell parents to leave my room. (I'm actually considered a nice person, reallySmile I've come to realize that people respect me for this, even if they don't like dealing with the situation.
this is an issue near and dear to my heart, because I have seen so many good teachers leave the profession because of this lack of support. We simply don't have to take every child into our classroom, no matter how much the administration tells us so.
As was stated in the prior message, teachers need to be aware of the different learning styles, and change teaching methods to reflect that. communication needs to increase between staff, parents and administrators. As people, we need to let go of fears that seem to run our society, and be less competitive. Children learn from us, so if we can do it, so can they.

Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - tjlise - 25-04-2005

I would say the first thing that I have found as a teacher is that it only takes one or two students to make a whole class and therefore potentially a school year unbearable or highly stressful. In reading the article about teachers and mental health the abuse and difficult nature of students makes teaching very stressful - stress that does not come with other lines of work.

I too have come to the point where I could tell my principal that I would not have a certain child in my classroom (while in the US) but I do not feel that would be possible now, nor I hope necessary. I believe that the union would come to help if the situation was such here in Australia. I am concerned about this however because where should these children go? The school I was teaching at in the US was a last ditch place for many. WE had great programs on offer but the students had to want to participate in those programs. WE used to say you can lead a horse to water but you can't drown it.

So if it boils down to one or two students where do we send them?

Nearly half of teachers have suffered from mental illness - 4th grade teacher - 28-04-2005

So if it boils down to one or two students where do we send them?[/QUOTE]

First of all, I need to clarify that I believe teachers are not responsible for sending these kids anywhere. The administration is. Teachers need to get away from feeling they have to reach all the children. They can't.
As for where I believe they should send them, there are more reasons than one as for why students can't succeed in traditional school. Behavior issues are caused by so many things.
Small groups at alternative schools seem to work for some. Individual tutoring works for others. If the school is a negative environment, the system needs to provide an alternative. This is costly, but it's needed.
Of course, we could change what the school is doing, and make them more appealing to students. Still costly, though.