Teach the Brain Forums
Greetings from Christina, OECD expert - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Greetings from Christina, OECD expert (/Thread-Greetings-from-Christina-OECD-expert)

Greetings from Christina, OECD expert - Christina - 09-05-2005

Hello. I am happy to join this learning experience with all of you. I look forward to engaging in lively and stimulating discussions together.

This forum highlights an exciting new receptivity of the field of education to the biological sciences. In the past, many educators were hesitant to use biology as a source of information because of the conception that biology is fixed. However, we now know that there is a constant interaction between biology and experience throughout the lifespan. Experience influences gene expression and shapes the architecture and function of the brain. This understanding enables us to accept the field of neurobiology into our practice without fearing the development of a determinative philosophy.

The current learner-centered movement in education has also made the field fertile for the acceptance of neurobiological knowledge. Modern educators have realized that the most effective teaching methods are those that are informed by an understanding of the learner. A knowledge of how the brain learns and develops is an important aspect of understanding the learner. The field of neurobiology is just in its infancy, and it is energizing to know that the next several decades will uncover much knowledge that can empower educators by providing a fuller understanding of the learner. I hope that this forum will provide a powerful mechanism through which educators can discuss the infusion of neurobiological knowledge into educational practice.

Greetings from Christina, OECD expert - tjlise - 10-05-2005

"Experience influences gene expression and shapes the architecture and function of the brain. This understanding enables us to accept the field of neurobiology into our practice without fearing the development of a determinative philosophy."

The above quote is from a welcome post by Christina. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate specifically on the phrase: "Experience influences gene expression"

What does that mean? Is gene expression how we measure if we have learned something? Or does gene expression refer to how the brain develops? If it is referring to learning then does this imply that the best way to learn is through experiences?

Greetings from Christina, OECD expert - geodob - 10-05-2005

Hi Tjlise,
In regard to your query about Christina's statement: Experience influences gene expression and shapes the architecture and function of the brain.
I would suggest that Christina is referring to the fact that, whilst our individual genetic profile, provides an architectural plan for our physical development.
It is very much down to our life's experience as to how closely this plan is followed. For example, whilst one may have a genetic predisposition to a particular illness, it is still very much detemined by our life experience and life style, as to whether we will develop the illness.
This equally applies to the growth and development of our brain, where whilst their is a strong genetic influence. Equally the influence that our experience, or rather how we actually use our brain. Has most often an even greater influence of how it is actually built and maintained.
The brain and its network of regions, develop in response to how it is used.
It works on a 'use or lose it' principle.
Though the essential element that our experience effects, is the development of the 'cabling' Network that interconnects our brain regions.
Providing our Cognition and Meta-Cognition.
Where I would mention that this Network is what is called our brains White Matter. With the Grey Matter, being the brain regions.
But crucially I would note that at birth, we have virtually no white matter network. The incremental growth of this, occurs in response to usage.
Where the spectrum of life's experience direct the network development.
As well as importantly, the maintenaince of the network.

Therefore the basic point about 'experience', is that the brain doesn't develop and grow automatically. But is the result of the ongoing experience that it is exposed to.
So perhaps this explains the reference to 'experience'?
Geoff.
Smile

Greetings from Christina, OECD expert - Christina - 11-05-2005

Thanks very much for your question Tjlise. And thank you, Geoff, for you excellent explanation! In fact, Tjlise, Geoff elaborates on my core point in relation to experience and the brain: The brain has incredible adaptive qualities. The brain’s structure determines its function and the brain’s structure is altered in response to experience. This principle underscores the critical importance of education as learning experiences can have powerful and cumulative effects on the brain.

To answer your question specifically regarding genes… The body’s blueprint is coded in DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). Genes are spiraled, threadlike particles made of DNA. They regulate the production of proteins, which control the structure and function of all of the cells in the body (including the neurons of the brain). Particular genes can be “turned on or off” in response to experience, resulting in altered protein expression patterns. Protein expression patterns have consequences for brain structure and function that can then influence the subsequent response of the brain to experience. Using the analogy of gene expression as the blueprint of the brain, one could envision a blueprint that is continually revised by the keen architect of experience. This revision is then communicated to the construction workers of the brain, the proteins, which modify the brain’s architecture in functionally-significant ways. This eloquent process enables the brain to adapt to experience.

~Christina