Teach the Brain Forums
Neuroscience and education - Printable Version

+- Teach the Brain Forums (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Teach-the-Brain (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-Teach-the-Brain)
+--- Forum: How the Brain Learns (https://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/Forum-How-the-Brain-Learns)
+--- Thread: Neuroscience and education (/Thread-Neuroscience-and-education)

Neuroscience and education - rubato - 28-07-2005

I have just returned from the launch of the neuroscience and education launch in Cambridge. This was an excellent opening of dialogue between these two areas - What did other teachers get out of it and what do you think is the way forward for these two areas?

Neuroscience and education - OECD - 29-07-2005

Dear Rubato,
Thanks for joining our forums. It was very encouraging to see such a large audience of people in the education field so genuinely interested in the brain and education. I enjoyed talking with many of you. I hope that others too will join our forums and pose questions which our online expert with the help of our large scientific network will be willing to try to answer.
Cassandra Davis

Neuroscience and education - megalearn - 29-07-2005

:confused: I too attended the conference which I found very enjoyable and stimulating. Unfortunately, I also came away feeling somewhat confused and concerned.

For example: Many teachers, pupils and parents have 'invested' time, effort (and money!) into using commercial products, including learning styles, to assist learning and have been used with some success atleast in the eyes of many teachers and pupils. Several dismissive comments were made about these. Recent research carried out by University of Newcastle is also critical of the use of learning styles. I am confused and am sure other teachers will be feeling the same and need some advice please!

Can you suggest how these research findings and the views of the conference experts can be shared with teachers, parents and pupils without causing alarm and possibly discourage them from trying different approaches to teaching and learning?

Neuroscience and education - Christina - 03-08-2005

Thanks for sharing. While I did not attend the conference myself, there was some feedback expressing concern over the powerful investment of educators in allegedly brain-based, but scientifically speculative, approaches to education. Recent neurobiological research offers important implications for educational policy and it is and it is encouraging to see such enthusiasm from the educational community. However, in pursuing this knowledge, the following is imperative:

1. Make sure your sources of information are valid before committing to them. The Organisation of Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) will be publishing a report on Brain and Learning in 2006 with scientifically-grounded descriptions of relevant neurobiological knowledge.

2. Remember that neurobiology offers only one perspective of learning. A useful metaphor is to conceptualize brain research as shining another spotlight on the problem of learning. Other disciplines also shine spotlights, and may reveal important aspects of learning not illuminated by neurobiology.

Neuroscience and education - 4th grade teacher - 04-08-2005

I did not attend the conference, but I am curious about the response from megalearn. When you say dismissive comments were made about learning styles, what did you mean? I didn't realize there was a particular curriculum known as learning styles, I just referred to the phrase as a theory of how to approach organizing curriculum, much like multiple intelligences.
Please elaborate.

Neuroscience and education - rubato - 05-08-2005

I think that the message from the scientists was to be wary of quick fixes and simple solutions. All brains are unique as I understand and in order to generalise we need much more information.
I learnt that what effective teaching is doing is proven to be good for the brain: Using repetition, positive reinforcement, using analogies and creating emotional safety and stimulating relevant (to the pupil) material are all good. We all know these things work and I want to open up the dialogue with the scientistst to see if we can find other pieces of common ground and grow together.
I do not think that we need to be confused but open and patient.