Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 741
» Latest member: teachadmin
» Forum threads: 2,071
» Forum posts: 4,714

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 13 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 12 Guest(s)
Bing

Latest Threads
Pilchards suspended from ...
Forum: South Africa
Last Post: Newsroom
27-02-2020, 01:22 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 443
The Science of Play (2): ...
Forum: How the Brain Learns
Last Post: papertalker
06-03-2015, 11:55 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 19,673
2013 NSC Examinations off...
Forum: SA Education News Feed
29-10-2013, 01:22 PM
» Views: 3,769
National School of Govern...
22-10-2013, 09:40 AM
» Views: 3,596
SA to mark World Teachers...
04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
» Views: 3,715
Gauteng welcomes ConCourt...
03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
» Views: 3,339
Last chance for Mpuma mat...
29-09-2013, 02:31 PM
» Views: 3,828
NW youth to study medicin...
25-09-2013, 02:00 PM
» Views: 3,774
Education a critical tool...
22-09-2013, 03:40 PM
» Views: 3,515
Construction of Sol Plaat...
19-09-2013, 11:40 AM
» Views: 3,748

Memory: IS VERY IMPORTANT...
Posted by: segarama - 04-07-2005, 07:42 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (181)

Smile I must admit that when 'constructivism' first came along that I began to really down play memory in my thoughts. I believed that understanding was the key to everything and it may be however, but a big paradigm that I had, needed to shift and it finally has. Memory and to memorize something are not the same thing.

Smile The book by Larry Squire and Eric Kandel titled Memory:From minds to molecules places 'Memory' as a direrct function of the brain and even more so, it tends to allow us to be human. If possible, I would like to stay on this particular topic for a bit since, it has so much to offer. I know that I brought up 'nondeclarative' and 'declarative' memory awhile back but it has led me to so many new directions in the brain that I am not sure where to start. The old saw "use it or lose it" is a metaphor that can be applied to the brain and the biological functioning of the memory system. It seems that when I was a teenager, I remember that the pool filtering system at the high school would not work well unless, we 'backwashed' the system and got rid of the so called plaque or residue. We watch our cholesterol to keep our blood lines clear for our heart to pump properly and we are concerned about plaques and tangles et al. in our brain. It seems that there are at least three distinctive diagnostic features found in the servere dementia of Alzheimer disease. "(1) again we find plaque [senile] in the hippocampus and cerebral cortex, (2) neurofibrillary tangles, and (3) loss of neurons". Squire and Kandel have really gone a step further.....without getting too technical again, the plaque or in this "case senile plaque consists of extracellular deposits of a protein substance called amyloid". The amyloid eventually becomes an "amyloid precursor protein", a protein that can normally be found in neurons or nerve cells. "Its function in healthy brains is not yet known".

There are many directions to go when speaking of MEMORY. Unconscious memory or nondeclarative memory compared to conscious memory or declarative memory is not even close to being the same thing. As a matter of fact in proving that we have an unconscious memory is indeed 'causal'.

Those that are interested in memory, it is an important part of learning and an important part of constructivist learning also.
Rob
Segarama

Print this item

New online course for teachers on the brain
Posted by: OECD - 01-07-2005, 04:24 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (2)

For teachers who want to learn about the brain, then you may
be interested in "Brain Research in Education" (BRE), an Internet-based
program from the University of Washington Extension. BRE is a series of
three courses: 1) Brain Basics (October 4 - December 16, 2005); 2) Brain
Research Processes (January 10, 2005 - March 24, 2006) and 3) Brain
Research in Educational Curricula (April 4 - June 16, 2006). Teachers
earn four Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 40 clock-hours and a
University of Washington Certificate of Achievement when they complete the
courses. Registration information and a description of the program are
available at:

http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/c...re_crs.asp

Print this item

Neurons and communications
Posted by: segarama - 30-06-2005, 08:47 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (62)

The brain's key communicator is the neuron and the glial cells help care for the neurons. There is some research that leads one to suggest that glial cells also communicate to some extent, but it is not a causal effect as of now.
synapse and Neurons....URL http://ifcsun1.ifisiol.unam.mx/Brain/synap.htm
Neuron.......http:// http://www.enchantedlearning.co...uron.shtml
CNS - PNS ...... http://www.cbtf.org/medical_a.html#a1

The neuron(s) is just an amazing complicated manner in which we as humans communicate through our nervous system. There are sensory neurons, motor neurons etc... but as with just about anything there are diseases and disorders that complicate a piece of art. Notice in the picture of the neuron the myelin covering most of the axon.....This is really important since myelin keeps the action potential moving through the axon as intended.
Rolleyes http://training.seer.cancer.gov/module_a...issue.html
I need to go in a few minutes but I have a great url to share with you and it is on hold. We know or some will know that myelin in the brain is extremely important for communication et al. Sometimes the myelin becomes damaged and needs to be replaced. Please take a good look at this simulation of an oligo cell [glial] taking care of the axon of a neuron [by remyelination]. Hope it works....http://www.myelin.org/index.htm

Sad You will notice that the neuron is in trouble whereby the action potential or the genesis of a message is trying to make it through this particular neuron's axon to the axon's presynaptic terminal. You will notice that the action potential [electrical] is leaking out though the cracked and violated myelin. This is slowing the message down considerably and most likely will not communicate to the post synaptic receptors.
:mad: This particular url will need you to click "more" and then go to the subsequent pages....2,3 etc. In the disease MS the demyelination of the neuron's axon takes place. Other neurological disease has similar demyelation problems. You will note that the Oligodentrite [schwann cell - glial] is servicing the neuron's axon. However in MS the Oligodentrite cell is destroyed so that remyelination cannot occur. It is believed that the bodies autoimmune system is responsible for this.

http://www.ask.co.uk/redir?qsrc=2004&q=W...lin.org%2f

Smile Please let me know if the [urls] came through to you. They are really amazing.
Best,
Rob

Print this item

Discussion Topic Organization
Posted by: Karldw - 28-06-2005, 09:44 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - No Replies

Thread issues and topics

1.The position of brain science in education
I feel that this is the topic that has considerable interest on this forum but at the same time is the one that suffers from the greatest confounding of meaning. This topic has the following aspects

(a)As a subject to be taught
This asks what information about the brain should be given to students in a course about the brain and its function.

(b)As a learning theory
This asks what information about the brain can be used to explain how people learn
This issue raises the following questions
i.has brain science been relevant to classroom teaching
ii.is brain science ready to go into practical teaching theory

©as a teaching theory
This asks what information from brain science can be used to improve the process of teaching.

2.Support for teacher development
This topic is the essence of this forum. I believe that the goal of the OECD was to bring the knowledge of the brain science research sectors to practitioners in the classroom. The problem is to explore the formats and means in which this can be done.
The following are some ideas that have been raised.

(a)Community of practice
This is an idea developed by Etienne Wenger. It is sometimes viewed as a learning theory but for this purpose it is a social theory that relates to the types of learning communities that we have and would like to develop.

(b)Practitioner Research
This is a process that has been recognized and formalized in many locations around the world. It serves to vindicate that classroom teachers can do valid research in the classroom. There are some recognized classifications of research that have been developed and could be applied under this classification.

i.Reflective practice
Reflective practice is a concept developed by Donald Schön. It is a philosophy about how you can reflect on what you are doing and how the organization you are a member of operates.

ii.Qualitative Research
It is commonly felt that qualitative methods are exploratory methods used chiefly to generate hypotheses for quantitative testing. Case studies are an example of this type of research.

iii.Action Research
Action Research is a type of applied research characterized by intervention in real world systems followed by close scrutiny of the effects. The aim of Action Research is to improve practice and it is typically conducted by a combined team of practitioners and researchers.

3.Means for delivering teacher support

(a)open source
I use the term “open systems” to imply the applications of open source philosophy that go outside of computer programming related fields. Three categories of open source work (Open knowledge, Open team working, and Open conversations. ) were discussed in
Open Systems - Action Teams

http://www.teach-the-brain.org/forums/sh...41#post341

It was stated that this forum is an open conversation.

I will continue to try to unravel the postings in my head and will provide updates as they come. In the meantime I would appreciate any comments anyone may have. Maybe at a later date we can link the topics to posts so as to help readers navigate the forum. This would be a form of topic map (an ISO standard that I don't adhere to. Surprise!)

Print this item

Experiential Learning
Posted by: segarama - 28-06-2005, 01:45 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (96)

Smile "We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring... Will be to arrive where we started ... And know the place for the first time."
by T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
http://www.agelesslearner.com/intros/exp...l#overview
This has great and varied meanings to all of us. What are they? Why?
Be well,
Rob
Segarama

Print this item

neuroscienceteaching and the brain
Posted by: veldamarie - 27-06-2005, 04:36 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (4)

Hi,

My name is Veldamarie and I'm a new member. I teach courses in educational leadership. I'm researching information on neuroscience, teaching learning and the brain. I'm seeking information on how this information can be connected to enhance the teaching and learning experience. Rolleyes

Print this item

Easy Learning
Posted by: John Nicholson - 27-06-2005, 08:35 AM - Forum: John Nicholson - Replies (81)

Smile Does any one realise that using an abacus is the easist way a child can learn maths,

Does any one have any data that is tested and proven

Will any one run trials properly, i will give them the abaci

[COLOR="Red"]every teacher or parent needs to start here

this the best research available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcb8nT0QC6o[/COLOR]

Print this item

Must there be a causal effect before we teach it?
Posted by: segarama - 24-06-2005, 07:20 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (16)

Smile When we are teaching our students about the brain and we say that it does this or that to our being therefore we can learn better; must we have causal proof of what we are teaching?

Rolleyes This could be a most interesting subject because many many teachers are teaching directly out of texts that have no causal proof what so ever. Yet, can we say there is a high correlation of truth rather than a cause and effect?

Smile If you have not heard John T. Bruer. Ph.D., President of the McDonnell Foundation speak or read his opinions in the article A Bridge Too Far, then I suggest that it would be educational. He is not an obstructionist; he just wants to get it right. His work can be found with a good internet search engine or use this web address for reflections on his work. http://www.brainconnection.com/topics/?main=conv/bruer

Cool I believe with the wide spread interest in the brain and education that the nascent International Mind, Brain and Education Society will be a value to all of us to help keep a balanced perspective. The mission of the International, Brain, and Education Society (IMBES) is to facilitate cross-cultural collaboration in biology, education, and the cognitive and develomental sciences. Science and practice in these fields will benefit from rich, bi-directional interaction. Research can contribute to usable knowledge for education, and practice can help to define promising research directions and contribute to the refinement of testable hyypotheses (quote IMBES). The International Mind, Brain and Education's website is http://www.imbes.org

Information regarding the brain and education is coming out very quickly now; let's be sure that we are teaching our students the correct knowledge; yet moving forward in a prudent manner.
Be well,
Rob

Print this item

Evolution the brain and mysticism A Hypothesis in need of professional scrutiny
Posted by: tsintao - 22-06-2005, 08:14 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (4)

Hi, Smile firstly let me just say that I'm a complete laymen , but with incredible curiosity,
Now I am ‘to say the lest’ uncertain about this hypothesis that I’ve been working on, which is why I’m here, feel free to rip it to pieces as I’m not precious and would like some genuine criticism from a professional hight , obviously not all of it pertains to brain function but when researching alone one can form biased quite easily having said all that here it is.

Evolution the brain and mysticism

Before humans had developed language, the transfer and sharing of knowledge was thought to be conveyed through gesture. A method of communication that would require keen observational skills and a high competency of coordination, this has lead to the belief that our ancestors were right brain dominant.

The right brain hemisphere is said to facilitate the capacity for visualisation and coordination by integrating or synthesizing complex visual information and re expressing it in a method of imitation that requires a process of imagination, indeed the precursor to language is thought to be art, dance and song, Intuitive and Holistic interpretations of sight and sound (a picture speaks a thousand words).

In contrast to this today, we see a left brain dominance. Although, in both cases (modern and ancient), this is not strictly one way or the other but is a discrepancy of ratio in terms of population and varies proportionately within the individual.

One theory suggested that the reason for the left brain dominance that we see today is hinged upon sexual selection, as left brain function is thought to be responsible for the emergence of language, now language coveys a greater accuracy of detail and information which gives rise to the ability to plan and organize. Interestingly too, is that the formation of language requires a sequential logic. Something that necessitates a concept of time, this has direct consequences where survival of the fittest and the most intuitive or instinctive individuals are discriminated against in preference to the smartest and most organized.

Left Brain------ Right Brain
Logical--------- Random
Sequential----- Intuitive
Rational-------- Holistic
Analytical------ Synthesizing
Objective------ Subjective
Looks at parts- Looks at wholes

Now it seems to me, that it would be reasonable, to form a hypothesis that the dominance of right brain function in our ancestors has a direct relationship to the mystical and spiritual experiences that later with the advent of language manifest as religion , I say this because prior to language I believe religion could not be conceptualized there was only a mystical experience.
To Quote W.T. Stace. “Religions are but theories about the mystical experience”.

As an example of how most if not all not all people can understand this Implicit and subjective state of mind I would point to the experience of child hood, in where the mystical ,timeless and imaginative processes give rise to such things as imaginary friends and fantasies of innumerable quantities , in terms of survival this would initially seem counterproductive, but as I pointed out earlier, “The right brain hemisphere assists with visualisation, imitation and coordination by synthesizing complex visual input ,and! it is quiet well documented that imagination is at the hart of childhood development, the concepts of time and language are developed later .

Indeed if one contemplates post language mystical experience with its many and varied religious forms, it is easy to see how the concept of God was formed from holistic reasoning even the concept of a lost Eden where time had no meaning and death went un-contemplated could be an echo of a time when subjectively speaking this was true ,much the same as when we remember child hood as a time where ‘time’ seemed to stand still,perhaps the ancient re-callers were in many ways still connected to a memory of this mystical mind.

Print this item

Learner form better constructs [n] when relevant
Posted by: segarama - 14-06-2005, 08:55 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (17)

Smile Most all of us learn better when we have a motivation or reason to want to know something. I found that when teaching about the brain and education et.al. that if the student has a prior knowledge connection to be tapped then they learn much much better. An example of this is: Class: Masters canididates in education and psychology: Name of class: Discover Learning in the Mind, Brain and Body.

When teaching this class I allow a great deal of latitude, when going outside the box [so to speak] to make a cogent point. My students are very interested in neurological diseases and the latest research. Mainly because they have someone they love or an aquaintance with MS or Parkinson's disease etc. etc. With a strong disclaimer not to go outside my ken when speaking of the anatomy and physiology of the brain, I make it very clear that I am not an expert on disease nor pretend to be.

For example a number of students are interested in MS and how it seems to affect people. This gives us a opportunity to discuss neurons in detail along with the synapses and the myelin covering the axon. Right here we have several critical subjects for the students to peak their interest. We can discuss how the communication occurs in the neuron and that the axon is critical for this purpose. We can discuss the demyelination of the axon and actually show through video snaps on the internet the loss of action potential from the axon that harms and is pernicious to communications and other symtoms of MS. My students seem to be really "fired up" and bring newspaper articles and journal articles etc. that they are now somewhat familiar. This lesson on MS will bring in more than twenty-five or thirty salient neurobiological and anatomical areas of the brain and nervous system.

Teaching about the brain and education can be very exciting when students become the driving force and the teacher is the catalyst. What experiences have you had by tapping the students' interest or prior knowledge? Please share them if you like.
Best,
Rob
Segarama

Print this item