Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 741
» Latest member: teachadmin
» Forum threads: 2,071
» Forum posts: 4,714

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 18 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 17 Guest(s)
Bing

Latest Threads
Pilchards suspended from ...
Forum: South Africa
Last Post: Newsroom
27-02-2020, 01:22 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 443
The Science of Play (2): ...
Forum: How the Brain Learns
Last Post: papertalker
06-03-2015, 11:55 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 19,673
2013 NSC Examinations off...
Forum: SA Education News Feed
29-10-2013, 01:22 PM
» Views: 3,769
National School of Govern...
22-10-2013, 09:40 AM
» Views: 3,596
SA to mark World Teachers...
04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
» Views: 3,715
Gauteng welcomes ConCourt...
03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
» Views: 3,339
Last chance for Mpuma mat...
29-09-2013, 02:31 PM
» Views: 3,828
NW youth to study medicin...
25-09-2013, 02:00 PM
» Views: 3,774
Education a critical tool...
22-09-2013, 03:40 PM
» Views: 3,515
Construction of Sol Plaat...
19-09-2013, 11:40 AM
» Views: 3,748

Neuroscience and education
Posted by: rubato - 28-07-2005, 02:34 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (5)

I have just returned from the launch of the neuroscience and education launch in Cambridge. This was an excellent opening of dialogue between these two areas - What did other teachers get out of it and what do you think is the way forward for these two areas?

Print this item

A Synapse In The Brain Is Really Important
Posted by: segarama - 27-07-2005, 07:18 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (63)

Smile I posted this title regarding the SYNAPSE since I believe that a great deal of learning transpires here.

The first thing I do is:
l. Determine why the brain needs synapses.
2. Ask myself why the synapse is so important.
3. Determine if it is really true that we could not live without synapse(s).
4. Determine the biological underpinning of the workings of a synapse in relation to learning.
5. Try to reflect on a picture of a synapse in my mind after seeing an image or photo or graphic.
6. Then let your creative self ask every possible question about the synapse that is created by the first five statements.

First this is not a short one hour process. The studying of a synapse never ceases since it is always important.
Let me start out by having us review the following url...and that should get us going.
Partial retrieval of an article from the internet on 7-26-05 called Embryological Development of the Human Brain by Arnold Scheibel, MD- Development of Synaptic Connections Among Neurons.

Scroll down the URL to the "Development of Synaptic Connections Among Neurons"...

URL: http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/scheibel.htm

Best,
Rob Cool

Print this item

Multiple Intelligences
Posted by: segarama - 24-07-2005, 07:43 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (54)

Smile Of course when we think of MI [Multiple Intelligences], we think of Prof. Howard Gardner, Graduate School of Education at Harvard University. I was fortunate enough to attend Project Zero at Harvard a few years ago and listened with great interest to Howard Gardner speak on Multiple Intelligences. I was first in great awe of the man, then grew a very deep respect for his knowledge and his dedication to education. I was a bit concerned that MI was not for me and our phsychologist did not really espouse it...but the more I listened to Dr. Gardner the more I am convinced that many psychologist do not care for it because you cannot quantify it with one score. We like things neat and tidy. One score really tells it all.....or does it? Do the standard IQ tests really test how someone will do in school...it that what it is for? I believe so.

Cool
MI is all inclusive and does recognize the student in school along with many other "real" intelligence qualities. If you think very deeply about MI and the categories that Dr. Gardner as setforth to this point, you will see how these intelligences cover the cognitive, experiential, and other kinds of learning bases. Did you ever have test a special needs child with MI.....Probably not...at school. I have never seen a public or private agency like a school who is so concerned with labels that if they were physicians they would grade an appendicitis rather than remove or treat it...and I still consider myself part of the best profession in the world...teaching.

Rolleyes I have real problems with texts coming out under many different authors who describe MI and what Dr. Gardner is all about..[I will watch it]. Really if you read about MI, it should come from the person who really knows it backwards and forwards and that is Howard Gardner.

A good interview with Professor Howard Gardner is available at this URL: Retrieved July 24, 2004 This is a cut and past URL and must register with Annenberg. Do it and follow their rules...they have great material for
teachers.
[url]http://www.learner.org/vod/vod_window.html?pid=1264
Cool
Best
Rob

Print this item

Emotions and Learning
Posted by: Christina - 20-07-2005, 09:18 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (40)

It is very clear that emotions have a powerful impact on learning. I have read about the impacts of fear, depression, stress, motivation, and attention on the brain's receptivity to learning. If anyone has come across a good article related to these topics, I would be very interested to read it. Thanks very much.

Print this item

We are ready to talk about stem cells.
Posted by: segarama - 18-07-2005, 02:44 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (54)

Rolleyes STEM CELLS have been on the cover and in text of many journals, magazines and even the National Geographic. We should probably talk about them beginning this week. I have enough material so that we can pretty much discuss the biology of the stem cells. We can do this. We need to do this. I will begin tomorrow with differentiated and undifferentiated stem cells. This will be interesting and I trust educational.
:eek:
1. What are stem cells?
Stem cells are the foundation cells for every organ, tissue and cell in the body. They are like a blank microchip that can ultimately be programmed to perform any number of specialized tasks. Stem cells are undifferentiated, "blank" cells that do not yet have a specific function. Under proper conditions, stem cells begin to develop into specialized tissues and organs. Additionally, stem cells are self-sustaining and can replicate themselves for long periods of time.

These unique characteristics make stem cells very promising for supplying cells to treat debilitating diseases like Alzheimer's disease, cancer, Parkinson's disease, type-1 diabetes, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Today, donated organs and tissues are often used to replace those that are diseased or destroyed. Unfortunately, the number of people needing transplants far exceeds the number of organs available. Stem cells offer the potential for supplying cells and tissues, which can be used to treat these various diseases.
[Retrieved 7/17/05 from the International Society for Stem Cell Research]

Best,
Rob Rolleyes

Print this item

External Representation
Posted by: Karldw - 17-07-2005, 05:34 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (1)

Time for some fun.

The following comes from an LD site. Ask and I will tell you where but for now I want to focus on the concept.

“Examining the use of external representations and their effect on solutions to problems in informal or formal tests and homework, might reveal to teachers the way that their students solve problems. These entities known as external representations are used when an individual solves a problem and shows his working out of the problem. These entities include: words, abbreviation, symbols, letters, lines, pictures and ideas. Knowing the external representations a student uses to solve problems could assist teachers in designing teaching materials and strategies to help their students, particularly those with dyslexia.”

This works the other way also. When you teach you usually induce an external representation of the problem into the student. This is particularly true in things like word problems in maths. The induced representation can effect the students ability to solve the problem. There may be unnecessary information. There may be multiple ways to solve the problem. Are these consistent? There may be multiple answers to the problem. How can you tell? What is the cognitive difficulty of the problem? How can you change and/or measure the level of cognitive difficulty?

These are all matters of cognition which is what education is about.

With external representations we can begin to evaluate the characteristics of an internal/external relationship in cognitive processing such as the properties of the internal and external structures and the cognitive benefits of different external representations. This allows us to begin to assess more effectively how technological innovation in external representations should be approached.

The following is a problem by cognitive scientists Johnson-Laird and Byrne about “setting a table”. Try to solve the problem and see if you can incorporate an external representation of the problem that will help you see the answers to the above questions.

1.The fork is on the right of the spoon.
2.The fork is on the right of the cup.
3.The knife is in front of the cup.
4.The plate is in front of the fork.

What is the relation between the plate and the knife?

Let us know what you think the answer to the problem is and also what you think the answers to the above questions are. Extra credit – Is it possible to place the cup anywhere you wish relative to the plate and why?

Print this item

Student ACCEPTANCE is not vital.
Posted by: segarama - 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (9)

Smile I am going to start this thread with one important declarative statement or is that imperative? Cool
Students of all ages must be ACCEPTED by their teachers and peers.
Cool
Do we agree or disagree...why?

Rob

Print this item

Technology, Learning, and Motivation
Posted by: Christina - 11-07-2005, 03:40 PM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (14)

I am interested in hearing from both educators and neuroscientists concerning some of the issues below. I know there is a lot here. Please feel free to pick up on whatever interests you.

Have you incorporated the use of computer games into the teaching setting? If so, have you found it to be effective?

How do you think computer games affect youth? Do you believe that they increase violent tendencies?

What do you think about the impact of computer technology as a whole children’s’ brains? Do you think their brains are able to cope with the explosion of technology available?

How do you find children cope with multi-tasking (using different kinds of media simultaneously)? Do you think their brains are become more adept at this?

Have you incorporated non-computer play techniques into your teaching? Do you think games and play can have a role in improving attention and motivation in the classroom?

Do you feel that children have enough time to play in the modern world where most of their recreation time is consumed by controlled extra curricula activities?

What kinds of learning environments do you find motivate your students?

Have you found that adolescent students need extra motivation? If so, what techniques have you used that work best?

Print this item

Neuroimaging Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorders
Posted by: segarama - 09-07-2005, 01:18 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (75)

Smile Here are some interesting results of neuroimaging of children with autism along with other pervasive developmental disorders. We need to use everything we can to help these children. If you are interested, you might take a look at the url below. Have a nice weekend.
Best, Rolleyes
Rob

url: http://www.neurodiversity.com/neuroimaging.html

Print this item

Neuroethics
Posted by: Christina - 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM - Forum: How the Brain Learns - Replies (5)

Dear forum members,

We are writing a chapter on neuroethics in an upcoming OECD publication and we are hoping to include some practitioners’ comments from this forum. A few related issues are listed below to get you started:

• Brain imaging techniques allow potential disorders to be identified
early in children. While this is wonderful because early identification
enables early treatment, some worry that it could also lead to
disempowering labelling.

•How can we draw a clear line between therapy and enhancement
(for example, with memory drugs)?

We are very interested to hear your thoughts on these and other neuroethical-related topics.

The Word Health Organisation has a Center for Cognitive Liberty and Ethics (CCLE), with a website dedicated to this issue: http://www.cognitiveliberty.org.

Thanks very much for your contributions!
~Christina

Print this item